Gas pipe channel in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Ive got a bit of an issue with a 22mm gas supply pipe (after the meter) running in an internal concrete floor. Before I get a Corgi guy in I need to make sure the channel is correct because Ive got some other works to do before he could start. A channel has already been cut but doesnt seem right for this purpose. Its 25mm deep and a plastic trunk with lid clipped onto it, flush to the surface. I read in the other threads that there should be 25mm to the surface from the top of the pipe and the duct vented at both ends. Does this venting need to be external or is internal ok? Does it need to be vented if the duct is filled with sand? Does it need 25mm gap if metal trunking were used instead? Any info greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
25mm, 22mm, plastic lid :eek:
Not acceptable. There are suggestions made in the regs, which your corgi man can select from. ANything else less good, won't do.
Why 25mm covering? Think carpet gripper nails :eek:
Venting depends on the cross sectional area of the duct.

Thanks ChrisR. Its just that Im moving a wall and gtting a kitchen re-plan done, and this channel would be very awkward to change once some of the work is done. It sounds like the channel needs to be 25+22+5mm deep (topic "How deep Gas pipe in concrete floor?") but did not know if a metal channel could reduce this requirement. It seems like I will need to dig under the vapour barrier to get a greater depth :( just means a fair bit more work. Any ideas? PS csa of duct is 40 x 25mm

Sponsored Links
There's no quick, simple, cheap answer (except that it's a pain in the bum).
This stuff
http://www.omegaflex.co.uk/
is sheathed to protect from building materials corrosion, but fatter than the equivalent copper. But you don't need joins and you can put screed straight back on top (after it's been tested for leaks). It lays quickly and easily though, which can be all important.
With a twin-disc cutter which goes to about 45mm deep, the rest chips out quite easily, there's little mess and the carpets are all back the same day.
A 9m length of 28mm recently cost about £200 with the ends. Horses for courses.
NOT a diy operation though. If I turned up and you showed me a pair of ends to use poking out of the floor, I'd have to walk away.
(NB also.... if the floor is structural, like a concrete floor between flats, forget it!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back