Gas pipe corrosion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could do with some advice please.

We have a kitchen island which contains a gas hob. The copper gas pipe runs in a trench dig into the floor, with screed and Amtico vinyl flooring laid on top. It’s been down for 12 years.

I noticed a lump in the floor yesterday. The lump is possibly 4-5 inches wide at the widest point, then it tracks across the floor in a haphazard line.

We took the kickboards off the units either side of the floor (including the island) ti find that the distortion in the floor roughly follows the track of the gas copper pipe. There is no sign of any damp and the lump under the floor is hard.

As the pipe emerges from the trench, under the island. we can see that it’s not lagged with any plastic, though there appears to be a plastic wrapper sitting loose my on top which has worn away. I am assuming that the copper has come into contact with the concrete and/or the screed used prior to the vinyl floor being laid. There is also a significant amount of white powdery substance emerging from the trench, which I suspect is effervescence.

The screed layer visible emerging at the edge of the vinyl has a small crack in the same direction as the pipe. There is no smell of gas.

The lump appeared pretty much overnight. I think the build up of effervescence may have put pressure on the screed layer above it, causing it to crack and bulge.

Does this seem feasible? And what would your advice be? I think the whole door needs to come up, it’s a large kitchen with Continuous flooring into the utility room and the hall, so not an insignificant job. The pipe and bulge lie at right angles to the direction of the vinyl ‘planks’ so even if they can be removed, they need to be cut across.

Thanks for getting this far!

Sponsored Links
Normal concrete/cement doesn't actually affect copper, but given you have movement in the screed you'd be better exposing things to check. Make the pipe accessible next time.

Thank you. It’s a bit difficult to make a pipe accessible under an amtico floor?

Perhaps the pipe could have been run into a casing, but regardless, you’d still need to run a long section of it into (and out of) a casing to reach the middle of our kitchen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back