Gas pipe in boxed section

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to replace our boiler and relocate it upstairs. The problem is that different gas fitters are giving us conflicting information.
The easiest routing would be to run gas pipe behind bottom kitchen units and then in a boxed section on the wall. There is a section made of 30 x 30 battens and plywood from the top of the unit to the ceiling. It's about 50cm wide.
One installer told us that by adding extra divider, area can be reduced and gas pipe can be run as this is a duct not a void. Others say that it must be run outside, which would not look nice.
Could you please therefore advise if first option is legally acceptable as I would prefer, but don't want any problems in future.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
I would say that the one who will do it on the duct is correct but the others don't want to do the extra work.

In theory they should do it how you want it at an appropriate price.

But many want to keep the price low to be competitive and chosen for the work.

Its a little difficult for many to follow the regulations for these kind of things. Many therefore err on the easy solution.

Tony

Thank you. Prices are actually similar, but attitude of different installer is a different thing.
I actually have one more question to installers. I was so far quoted between £3500-4000 for new boiler with relocation. Quick look at prices of parts suggest that a conventional boiler with other required parts should not cost more than £1000. I can't see how work would take more than 2 days, so I was just thinking that either there is something very expensive in £1250-1500 daily rate that I am missing or i is this cost bit excessive? I am still waiting for other quotes, so maybe the price will go down.
Quick math suggest that new investment would pay off in about... 16 years (gas bill is around £60 with hob included, so I assume £20 savings max), so I am starting to think if it's not better to stick with my old boiler until it dies.

Did the new boiler idea come about because of wanting to relocate or new boiler and decided to have it elsewhere.

The prices you have are they including vat?
Don't forget that 20% is not for us we are mere tools used by the government to collect taxes.
It's been said many times so I'm not gonna go through it all but what has to be paid for are overheads, wasted time(you've had what 3 4 quotes only 1 will do the job the others may have put 2/3 hours work into your quote for free)
And experience

I couldn't possibly say how long the job will take as I haven't seen it. where has the 2 days come from
Might take
a day to do the gas pipe
A day to power flush
Fit and pipe up new boiler (loft you haven't said)
Remove old boiler
Brick up old flue hole etc.
some guys on their own will take 4/5 days over a conversion/relocation job
Some guys will have another engineer/plumber with them. And be done in 2 easily but he's paying 2 people

Only way to know is to ask how long they will take to do the job.

As for a gas pipe being in boxing yes it can but there are regulations and requirements to meet.
Maybe the guy that has suggested this has allowed half a day to rebuild your boxing.

Sponsored Links
Why not support a multinational - ask British Gas for a quote and work back from there:notworthy: Centrica is Cool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back