Gas pipe in stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to run a 28mm gas pipe from the meter under the stairs up through the stud wall at the end of the bathroom and into the loft to fuel the boiler. (bathroom is at the top of the stairs). Is this possible and what are the regulations?

Note: I am going to get a CORGI to do this, but I want to know first if this is possible so I can make alternative arrangements if not.

Thanks

M

Sponsored Links
I would like to run a 28mm gas pipe from the meter under the stairs up through the stud wall at the end of the bathroom and into the loft to fuel the boiler. (bathroom is at the top of the stairs). Is this possible and what are the regulations?

no, not possible.

Yes it is allowed providing its done right
htgeng would you like to elaberate on why you think its not allowed

Sponsored Links
wouldnt it be easier to run it external :?:
There's not much difference in terms of difficulty. I have to re-plasterboard and re-tile the bathroom side of the wall (it's badly damaged), so I may as well put pipes in there at the same time (water and central heating pipes are going in too)

Yes it is allowed providing its done right
htgeng would you like to elaberate on why you think its not allowed
Why doesn't he just ask his installer what they are happy doing. I'm not putting my name against the job.

If a gas pipe is installed in a "duct" than thats only permissable if the duct is adequated ventilated and all pipe joints are soldered.

Deciding what ventilation is needed is more difficult because the idea is to make it able to disperse any leaking gas and one might consider that the ventilation should be to the outside.

Another problem is that the duct would be expected to be gas tight and not connected to any other ducts or openings.

Interestingly gas pipes are often fitted under a floor without any ventilation being provided as if it was a duct.

As all those requirements can be difficult to meet in a way that cannot be questioned so an external gas supply pipe is often the easier solution.

Tony

Except outside the *****'s love it, so if the boiler don't come on one morning, check the gas pipe first. :LOL:

If a gas pipe is installed in a "duct" than thats only permissable if the duct is adequated ventilated and all pipe joints are soldered.

Deciding what ventilation is needed is more difficult because the idea is to make it able to disperse any leaking gas and one might consider that the ventilation should be to the outside.

Another problem is that the duct would be expected to be gas tight and not connected to any other ducts or openings.

Interestingly gas pipes are often fitted under a floor without any ventilation being provided as if it was a duct.

As all those requirements can be difficult to meet in a way that cannot be questioned so an external gas supply pipe is often the easier solution.

Tony

Pipe ducts with a cross sectional area of less than 0.01 sq m do not require ventilation so as long as a duct is formed within the wall with a small enough area it's okay.

There was a technical bulletin (TB217) regarding gas pipes in floor voids some time last year. The gist of it was that it was not generally necessary to provide extra ventilation for gas pipes installed in modern floor voids in single dwelling properties.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back