Gas pipe in the alleway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My neighbour has installed central heating recently. I just noticed the gas pipe runs through the alleyway. The alleyway comes under my deed though my neighbour has the right to use it. Although the pipe is fixed on their wall but it takes some space which might be a hindrance to take the bin out. Could someone please tell me whether it is right to run such pipe through the alleway.

Sponsored Links
If it's your alleyway your neighbour has no right to run a pipe across it. It makes no difference whether it's attached to their wall or not. It still runs in your airspace.

Does it mention in your deeds that your neighbour has the right to use it? And if so, what is defined by "the right to use it"? I'm assuming only for access to their rear garden and not to install services, etc...?

I should ask this on the plumbing forum, but forgetting the planning aspect and ask if it is legal for a gas-pipe to be run above ground because, although not certain, I don't think it is - liable to knocks etc.

Sponsored Links
I have read on another forum that new gas supplies can run externally if...

a. They're at high level to prevent being knocked; and
b. They're at low level and protected with some form of metal outer pipe or cover.

Old/existing gas supplies are not affected by this but it refers to all "new" supplies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back