Gas pipe not big enough

If you click on the topic at the top of this forum page "Announcement: Gas fitters only forum" you'll find a link to join the Combustion Chamber (CC)

Sponsored Links
Or if your "allready" an RGI you "could" ask Gassafe.

Why are there flats on a 50p piece, so you can fit a spanner on it to unscrew it out of a Yorkshire mans hand :LOL:

If you are a RGI and you don't know how to correctly size a gas pipe, you need to go back to college fella.

Throw a strop, slag me off or tell everyone your not an expert if you want - you know that you cover this on CCN1, so you ARE an expert - you passed didn't you?

Gas pipe sizing is billy basics mate and if you don't know how to do it - you need to learn, and not in a public forum either.

Bloody hell... :D
I think either i cant get across what im trying to say on the forum or others are miss understanding what im saying ..
Gas man you certainly do cover pipesizing in your core gas safety ,And not once did i say i couldnt do it ...did i ?
I would still call me self a novice at pipesizing tho as its somthing i dont do everyday ... even when i do therefresher for my tickets every other gas installer on the course hate it and think its a nightmare ....altho they can do it so for me i would say i am competent at it but certainly no expert .
Ok then if having a piece of paper saying gas safe registered installer on makes me a expert at pipesizing ., wel then i must be a expert and yourself and pendtic man must be correct :D :D
Bloody hell all i want to know is were i could source a friggin fitting lmao ....Turned into a bloody joke
I give up boys . Looks like i shall have to run it in 15mm :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
you are not competant to carry out gas pipe work if can't size it correctly. simple as. Get your nose in the books and learn, go back to college or get someone who knows what they are doing in to do the work.

[
I had a plumber who works for the local council trying to tell me if i wanted 28mm coming out of my meter i should buy a 22mm fitting and step it up ....HAHAH . .

the guy was right to advise this so you should have listened to him

rockhopper69";p="1856088 said:
I am competent . and also a registered gas installer ( not that holding gas tickets makes you competent ! )
ive come across some right plonkers holding tickets

i would consider a qualified gas engineer asking if such a fitting as a 1" x 28mm meter tail has been invented (and if available where to get one) as incompetant

Gas man , no disresect but i did say i can correctly size pipe ! . can you not read. ?
Kirk gas in all my time working with gas ive never stepped up in pipe size , ive always thought it was a no no , is it not ?.
Like i said ive had very little experience in working around gas meters .ie removing them and fitting them .so wasnt sure if stepping up in gas pipe size from the meter tail was good sound practice , I personally would never of done it ide of thought it was a restriction regardless of downstream pipe being bigger diametre.
can you please explain to me how it makes me incompetant if i didnt know if a fiting was available for a u6 meter ? or if its ok to step up in size from them ?
If your correct in what you say i hold my hands up .

With regards to short lengths of pipework at meter - because, unlike water, gas is compressible, a short constriction on a long run of gas pipe will have less of a devastating effect on flow than it could have for a water pipe. Often boilers that require 22mm from the meter have a 15mm connection to the gas cock anyway.

Gas man , no disresect but i did say i can correctly size pipe ! . can you not read. ?
Kirk gas in all my time working with gas ive never stepped up in pipe size , ive always thought it was a no no , is it not ?. Like i said ive had very little experience in working around gas meters .ie removing them and fitting them .so wasnt sure if stepping up in gas pipe size from the meter tail was good sound practice , I personally would never of done it ide of thought it was a restriction regardless of downstream pipe being bigger diametre.
can you please explain to me how it makes me incompetant if i didnt know if a fiting was available for a u6 meter ? or if its ok to step up in size from them ?

it is perfectly acceptable to step up, i would suggest you only do it where you have to (ie cant get access to a pipe to upgrade a bit of it) it is always the best option to have the bigger size coming off the meter but that is more for future extentions etc, but gas is unlike water and will compress and expand to whatever pipe it is in, so if you have a 22mm pipe buried in concrete and cant get it all out to step it up to 28mm it will work if you step it down at one side and back up again at the other, as long as the pipe calculations work out ok depending on length of runs etc, time served plumbers have an issue with this as we are taught you MUST have the larger pipe first then step down, but as stated earlier gas isnt the same as water

Kirk gas in all my time working with gas ive never stepped up in pipe size , ive always thought it was a no no , is it not ?.
Like i said ive had very little experience in working around gas meters .ie removing them and fitting them .so wasnt sure if stepping up in gas pipe size from the meter tail was good sound practice , I personally would never of done it ide of thought it was a restriction regardless of downstream pipe being bigger diametre.

perhaps incompetant was too strong, so i will retract that, but i would expect anyone to have completed CCN1 and appliances to be aware of the type of fitting required to connect a gas meter to a supply pipe, to ensure they could recognise an improper fitting more than anything else, perhaps more experience on meters will allow you to pick it up (not a dig in anyway)
SO STICK EM UP :LOL:

:D :D
I really appreciate the advice guys , im taking it all on board . One things for certain i didnt realise you could step down then up . :oops: .
A quick update tho . I did speak to gas safe yesterday and they also advised it was ok to do .
Again i really appreciate the advise....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back