WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR INCOMING GAS PIPE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,Im having a gas boiler fitted,the gas safe engineer has said that the 15mm lead pipe that comes up to the meter may need upgrading,who is responsible for this the gas board or me?

i

Sponsored Links
The transporter is responsible for everything up to the meter outlet.

They will probably only upgrade it if the boiler is fitted and the flow rate is insufficient as a result of that pipe.

Its a difficult area though.

Tony

The transporter is responsible for everything up to the meter outlet.

They will probably only upgrade it if the boiler is fitted and the flow rate is insufficient as a result of that pipe.

Its a difficult area though.

Tony

thanks for your reply,im having a Glow worm Flexicom CX 30 fitted,does my engineer need to do a flow rate test and see if its within spec for the boiler?

Whilst it is possible there is no method prescribed in his training so he may not be able to do it.

However, if he is clever he may be able to make some calculations based on any existing gas consumption. Again this is not taught but not difficult to do.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Whilst it is possible there is no method prescribed in his training so he may not be able to do it.

However, if he is clever he may be able to make some calculations based on any existing gas consumption. Again this is not taught but not difficult to do.

Tony

would the new boiler still work ok,if i had to have the upgrade on the incoming pipe at a later stage?

It all depends on the extent of the low pressure. Thats why some measurements/calculations would be a good idea.

Most boilers will still work with a very low pressure but the gas regulations say that we should not install them that way nor leave them working if its too low.

But this is all up to your installer to decide how to deal with it. If you are not happy with his installation then you can ask Gas Safe to come and give a free inspection.

CORGI used to be very quick to serve notices on the installer to make them upgrade the gas supply at their cost but I am getting the impression that G-S are more inclined to expect the owner to pay for the upgrades.

Tony

Surely it would be best to install the new boiler with correctly sized pipework from the meter and if the WP at the meter falls outside of the limit it becomes the transporters problem.

That would at first sight seem the best solution but there is still a possible problem.

Of course I would do the tests but this installer seems a little uncertain of how to deal with the problem.

Someone I know replaced a 24kW with a 32Kw and the transporter said that they would charge to upgrade the supply to the property to provide a supply suitable for the 32kW.

The owner had complained to CORGI and were blaming the installer for having paid for a more expensive boiler which they were told by CORGI was unsafe to use!

Tony

A 32Kw combi only uses approx 50% of the gas rate of a standard G4 meter. Why would a householder have to pay extra to get a standard gas supply upgraded to a standard gas supply to his home :confused: :rolleyes:

If it's only the tail between the ECV and the meter I don't see what all the fuss is about they will change it when the installer reports a pinhole in the pipe ;)

Boggered if I would shell out to upgrade a faulty service that I already pay for.

Dunno if this is relevant but i went to a suprima 120l (45kw) in a big new house end of a little cul de sac.

They has a six burner range and 2 gas fires......i got 12mb at the boiler operating pressure and 17mb at the meter......did the calcs and upgraded the 22mm supply to 28mm for boiler and called out transco to check meter (u6)......he looked on his laptop, looked at the 28mm and said sorry.....we only fitted a 20mm supply to meter (it wouldn't have even supplied 6cu m...so why fit only a 20mm??!)......we will have to fit a 40mm.....householder was well chuffed.....except they were going to have to dig up 30m of block paving before they could mole the supply!

But they did it for free

A 32Kw combi only uses approx 50% of the gas rate of a standard G4 meter. Why would a householder have to pay extra to get a standard gas supply upgraded to a standard gas supply to his home :confused: :rolleyes:

This was not my job although I know of the installer and have had to solve his problems a few times.

As he had reached a serious argument with the householder which also involved the boiler maker I was asked for my view on the situation and called the gas transporter.

I was eventually called back by a not very polite engineer who knew all about the situation. He simply told me that the existing supply is adequate for most people and they would be involved in considerable cost to upgrade the supply in that rural location and required a contribution of about £1000-£2000 from memory.

The householder took the view the installer had dropped off, expected her boiler to be working properly and was not going to pay anything more!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back