Who is responsible for the gas pressure to the meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved into an 1890's cottage and having gone through a very cold winter now want to upgrade our boiler. Our current boiler is around 30 year old and going through £200 of gas per month.

A friend of ours, who is a CORGI registered plumber, will not fit a new boiler until we have upgraded the pipes into the meter and increased the pressure, he doesn't believe that there is enough perssure coming into the meter to run a combi boiler.

We have contacted SGN (Scotia Gas Network) and they have quoted us £4,200 to come and upgrade the pipe's from the road to the meter and move the meter from half way down our drive to the side of the house!!

Can anyone tell me who is responsible for the gas pressure, surely if we are not receiving enough pressure then they should upgrade us for free?

Any help/advice would be greatly received!!

Sponsored Links
...A friend of ours, who is a CORGI registered plumber, will not fit a new boiler until we have upgraded the pipes into the meter and increased the pressure, he doesn't believe that there is enough perssure coming into the meter to run a combi boiler...

CORGI was booted 2 years ago, the only body that matters now is GSR. Your friend's corgi registration is now meaningless.
He also does not seem to be au fait with how things work. Get a proper RGI, and he will sort things out without the need for a £4000 bill for outside work.

OK so perhaps he's not CORGI but he's definately registered to carry out GAS work.

What would you suggest he does? How else can we increase the pressure without having the pipe's upgraded?[/quote]

well the pipe to meter belongs to who ever is local gas transporter
can they not change the guvonor to better working pressure and if not
then i think they have to change pipe work for free(don`t qoute me on that)

Sponsored Links
That is what the majority of people seem to think, that the supplier should be replacing it for free, however i cannot find any legislation/legal mumbo jumbo to back up our thoughts. SGN are not budging with their quote.

They wanted to replace the pipework with a 63mm pipe, surely that is only used for commercial properties. They are aware that the pressure to the property is low but will do nothing about it!

Can you perhaps explain a bit further as to why he appears clueless, what else can be done??

Sorry, i thought these kind of forum's were here to help people not just waste time!!!

If they had a **** off smilie i would be using it!!

What should I have said, something like: he didn't perform well in the MB-Test?

The gas transporter is responsible for the meter & the gas supply to it , assuming it is a primary meter ( not a secondary meter )

therefore as I see it they would be responsible for any up grade , unless you are up grading from say a domestic supply to say some type of commercial usage , or u require a larger supply due to useage / adding appliances or another property ect !

How ever as I understand it ( regs/law ect?) they are only required to guarantee / supply a running gas pressure at your appliance of 14 mbars during any peak demand ? some areas of the UK suffer from low gas pressure ( pinch points ) !

Most likely the boiler maker will say their appliance needs 20mb dynamic pressure at the meter outlet, and to check with your gas supplier that this is achievable, your installer is right to want to check for this, however my experience is that the supplier can be rather evasive with their reply.

I think legally the supplier can go lower than this, cant remember the exact Mb, lack of gas pressure can result in ignition lockout problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back