Who is responsible for the gas pressure to the meter?

Most likely the boiler maker will say their appliance needs 20mb dynamic pressure at the meter outlet, and to check with your gas supplier that this is achievable, your installer is right to want to check for this, however my experience is that the supplier can be rather evasive with their reply.

I think legally the supplier can go lower than this, cant remember the exact Mb, lack of gas pressure can result in ignition lockout problems.

15mb i think

Sponsored Links
What size combi are you after and what pressure did he get and did he call out SGN to increase it at the meter governor which would be the first thing to try

Copied From the Ideal Logic plus I fitted this week-

Note Mb pressures mentioned-

19Mb being the minimum at the meter outlet.

GAS SUPPLY
The local gas supplier should be consulted, at the installation
planning stage, in order to establish the availability of an
adequate supply of gas. An existing service pipe must NOT be
used without prior consultation with the local gas supplier.
The boiler MUST be installed on a gas supply with a governed
meter only.
A gas meter can only be connected by the local gas supplier or
by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer. In IE by a Registered Gas
Installer (RGII).
An existing meter should be checked, preferably by the gas
supplier, to ensure that the meter is adequate to deal with the
rate of gas supply required.
It is the responsibility of the Gas Installer to size the gas
Installer to size the gas installation pipework in accordance
with BS6891:2005. Whilst the principle of the 1:1 gas valve
ensures the Logic + range is able to deliver it’s full output at
inlet pressures as low as 14mb, other gas appliances in the
property may not be as tolerant. When operating pressures are
found to be below the minimum meter outlet of 19mb these
should be checked to ensure this is adequate for correct and
safe operation.
Allowing for the acceptable pressure loss of 1mb across the
installation pipework, it can be assumed that a minimum
permitted operating pressure of 18mb will be delivered to the
inlet of the appliance. (Reference BS 6400-1 Clause 6.2
Pressure Absorption).
The integral appliance isolation valve and boiler pipework
could further reduce the operating pressure by up to 1.5mb
when measured at the inlet test point on the appliance gas
valve. Therefore it has been identified that an operating
pressure as low as 16.5mbar could be measured at the
appliance inlet pressure test point on the gas valve.
IMPORTANT.
Installation pipes must be fitted in accordance with BS.6891

Sponsored Links
Most likely the boiler maker will say their appliance needs 20mb dynamic pressure at the meter outlet, and to check with your gas supplier that this is achievable, your installer is right to want to check for this, however my experience is that the supplier can be rather evasive with their reply.

I think legally the supplier can go lower than this, cant remember the exact Mb, lack of gas pressure can result in ignition lockout problems.

15mb i think

Yes I was told this a while back some areas far off the grid theres a mandate that allows it to go to 15mb because of difficulty in supplying normal working pressure.

He needs to measure the pressure and flow. If there is a peak time drop in pressure, but the flow OK, then use a rail burner boiler. Rail burners are less susceptible to pressure fluctuations. Rail burners tend to be used in the cheaper boilers with secondary condensing heat exchangers.

George, you seem to have missed the fact that only Band A boilers are permissible now.

That practically speaking means premix!

But most of those will still work down to about 12mB or lower.

Tony

Its an old chestnut about who pays.

Certainly many people DO get asked to pay.

But also many posting on here say that eventually they get the pipe upgraded free.

One of my customers in Leamington had it upgraded free too!

Tony

Wong about only band A . Band B and SE boilers are still allowed.
Fom april it will be A and SE

The Gas transporter deleivers the gas to the meter at 75 mbar..then the governour or regulator deleivers 21mbar to all appliances regardleess.

Domestic gas meters supply 6m3 gas eater per hour thats it...If you have more than one appliance or maybe 2 and the new appliance is in the same location but just been upgrade then you may need to increase the size of instillation pipe from the meter to all appliance to a point where practicall.

Youy may get away with increasing the preassure on the regulator to supply more gas but to confirm correct gas preassure you need to have all appliance on and take a burner preassure test to confirm how much more you may need.

Wong about only band A . Band B and SE boilers are still allowed.
Fom april it will be A and SE

Is there another reason allowing SE, other than pointsystem?
In which cases can you install SE, but not B?

Because a band B is a condensor anyway so if that can go in then so could an A So no reason to have band B`s

Can u still get hold of SE boilers ?? u would need them if u were replacing a boiler on a Se duct or U duct !

Trans you can still get a baxi 105e for around 400 quid including flue and clock and vat,
Still some others about too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back