Gas pipe proximity to consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this an issue? Gap is about 6cm. Should the plumber have installed the gas pipe this way and should I ask them to reroute it next time they are here? There are other potential routes and the installation is 4 months old. It just dawned on me that this might not be great in the event of a CU fault/fire

Attachments

• PXL_20220111_174032535~2.jpg
    PXL_20220111_174032535~2.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 279
Sponsored Links
The pipe's too close to the consumer unit and the cables and contravenes the regs. This is nursery school gas knowledge.
You might want to post a few pics of the pipework and any other work he did.
Either ask him to rectify (at his expense) or ask for a Gas-Safe inspection and they will force him to re-do it for free (and note his file as he needs monitoring).

From BS6891...

8.16.2 Separation of installation pipework from other services
Where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material, they shall be spaced as follows:

a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls, electrical
switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units;
b) at least 25 mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.

You don't need to worry about this as the person who fitted the gas pipe can self declare that he is never wrong and that it meets regulations. He pays a fee each year to have the protection that he can never be challenged, is always right and can self certify so BC don't ever need to check. So as he's signed it off, its fine...under building regulations.

You don't need to worry about this as the person who fitted the gas pipe can self declare that he is never wrong and that it meets regulations. He pays a fee each year to have the protection that he can never be challenged, is always right and can self certify so BC don't ever need to check. So as he's signed it off, its fine...under building regulations.
Eh?

Sponsored Links
Well, if another engineer spots it, the installer could be reported as a cause for concern to gas safe.

No drama. I'll ask the guy back tomorrow. Probably an hour job to move it. Interesting that I had an electrician out as well the week after the pipe was put in and they did a load of work on the CU. Didn't mention the pipe. Although I guess they only care about their regs.

Well, if another engineer spots it, the installer could be reported as a cause for concern to gas safe.

Gas Safe and other similar pay a subscription organisations tend to not be all that interested in minor infringements, but always worth reporting.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ir's not a subscription either. It's a licence fee the same as your driving licence.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back