gas pipes and plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure where best to post this so please move if neccesary. How tightly should you plaster around gas pipes. I have a gas pipe coming through my back wall into the kitchen. The hole it comes through is bigger than the pipe and therefore there is a bit of a draft coming through. My solution would be to seal the gap with repair plaster but wanted to make sure that it would not damage the pipe by restricting movement when it expands and contracts in cold weather.

Sponsored Links
I'm not aware of any specific rule regarding how tight you can plaster to gas pipes but, as a decorator, I would say the majority of properties I work in have been plastered right up to them. Saying that, some houses do have the pipe coming through the wall within another pipe acting as a conduit.

I don't think there will be an awful lot of movement with climatic changes but there is a bit of a risk of pipes corroding after time when in contact with the plaster (especially copper) so it might be wiser to use a flexible caulk as this will also combat against any cracking if there is excessive movement. If the hole is particularly big, you could use expanding foam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back