Gas Pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I had a flueless gas fire fitted about 4 months ago and all was fine until this week, the flame seems to be very low but does seem to increase later in the evening, could this be down to low gas pressure due to increased demand in the area (very cold weather this week)? Complete novice at this so not sure if gas pressure is affected by demand - if so, do I contact British Gas or Transco (whatever they're called this week) to report low pressure? Don't really want to call an engineer out just yet for something that could be supplier related.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thanks - Installed by Corgi reg installer, 2 carbon monoxide detectors fitted in the room, larger than required air vent as well...belt and braces approach.

Still Say dont use it untill a competant person has checked it out

these things scare the bejayyuss out of me

Sponsored Links
yep - take your point - was only decorative so not a problem leaving it off
Cheers

Sorry to be a harbinger of doom but it is better to be safe than wotsit aint it

yep - agree with both and will not use til inspected - any appliance fiited incorrectly or used incorrectly could be a potential death trap. I did read up on this fireplace prior to purchase hence the 2 carbon monoxide detectors and larger vents etc.

I'll check the cooker etc tonight to see if there is a noticable drop in pressure...Pizza normaly takes 30 mins to cook, if it takes an hour I'll know theres a problem ;)

Cheers

Transco wont have a problem with you notifying them that you think there is a pressure drop,

they will er on the side of safety and call out to check.

What was wrong with the flue-less fire that was involved with the South Wales death was that it had to much gas pressure and overcame the catalitic converters ability to chemicaly remove the Carbon Monoxide from the products of combustion.

Tim

Please keep us informed as to the out come of your query.

There are a lot of these flue-less appliances out there, many fitted by DIY people who are not aware of the potential danger inherent with flue-less fires.

Tim

If it was installed by a CORGI installer who was qualified for fires, then he should have checked the gas pressure when he commisioned it and it should be fine. Pressure drop during peak times can happen.

I don't touch flueless fires with a barge-pole though. :confused:

Its worth noting that there are no pressure regulators on these kind of fires, only a basic flow restrictor which is set and sealed in the factory.
The appliance involved in the South Wales, Cwmbran incident was wrongly set and sealed in the factory with this flow restrictor set fully open!!
The said fire was purchased via a major DIY outlet so anyone could have purchased that fateful appliance
I would have hoped that the manufacturer would have maybe added a proper pressure regulator to this product in light of this case, but all they have done is to add a fixed orifice to their product.

Follow this link to the Gasman from Canada. he has written some excellent articles on the subject in Canada, where, incidentally these fires are banned. Also banned in 5 states in USA.

Read on http://www.epinions.com/content_4908097668

Also a more recent post from him http://www.epinions.com/content_5133213828

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back