Gas regulations for campervans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry but I did not know where else to post this question.
Our 1985 VW Autosleeper does not meet current regs for gas instalations in a camper/caravan. If I do any new work on the gas instalation does the whole system have to be brought up to current regs., as I believe it would do in the home.
To be more specific the gas bottles have to be stored in an airtight container, not in a vented cupboard at the bottom of the camper as ours is.
I am thinking of fitting a quick release connector in the electric hook up socket box so that I can connect an external gas bottle. In this situation is it OK just to use manual taps to isolate the gas or is an automatic changeover valve required.
Or is the whole idea a non-starter? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
A good few years ago I used to service caravan/camper gas fridges and I had to be Qualified in LPG but as far as I recall you had to have a drop out hole under each gas appliance , the rubber hose's are date stamped and must be under I think 5 years old and the gas bottle must be secured and that was it!. Granted I'm out of touch with the current regs concerning LPG though.

Are you permanently living in the campervan? If not, the regs aren't as strict, it doesn't NEED to be done by a properly qualified Gassafe person, just someone "competent". Internal gas locker doesn't need to be airtight, just vented to outside at bottom. Gas bottle outside of van seems bonkers on a camper, after all you'd need to carry it around somewhere in the van anyway. And you'd want it fairly low down for weight distribution - so having it over the engine bay isn't the best place etc. Thus, its going to be on the floor somewhere in a cupboard.

Sponsored Links
I'm going to be carrying a larger bottle( than is practical inside the camper) in a camping trailer for use on long trips. According to the PDF on the gas safe site bottles stored inside the vehicle do have to be in a sealed to the inside/vented to the outside box & it would not be practical to do that with mine. But it seems I don't have to retrospectively upgrade to that regulation after doing modifications, if I am reading these replies correctly.

Is the large gas bottle going to be carried in/on a proper gas locker or storage area and properly secured, or just put in the interior of the trailer and moved around when needed?

Just carried in the trailer towed behind the camper along with the other stuff (awning etc.) that would restrict the space inside the van when traveling for weeks at a time rather than just a weekend.

The registered gas installer doing the work should be able to advise you on this.
Thanks Dan but apparently it is not that simple. Non of the local gas safe engineers that I have spoken too could answer my questions about retrospective regulations or whether an automatic change over valve was necessary. They only seem to have experience of domestic LPG rather than camper/caravan use

Hi mate, any new gas work will need to comply to current standards, anything previous may be not to current standards. If you get a gas engineer from the gas safe website with lpg and lav (leisure accommodation vehicles) he will be able to advise you what needs to be done to keep you safe and comply.
I have lpg and lav but cannot advise you without seeing the actual job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back