Connecting a Single Gas hob to a butane bottle

@wsts

Thanks for this. I'll have an RGI assess the job. I never thought that advice on the internet was any substitute for having the proposed job assessed in person, my main concern was that I wanted some pre-advice, so that I wasn't incurring expense / wasting the time of a RGI and my own by having them to come and look at a job that wouldn't be advisable in a million years.

I would say given the advice that I've received - the point is that lpg isn't just twice as dangerous as natural gas - It's a completely different proposition - with additional risks that natural gas does not have.

I guess that if they feel that the job is a no-go without even coming to look at the installation space - they can tell me that over the phone and I may not waste their time.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
as someone who has just had a cooker hob installed in France where the gas bottle is indoors you need to be aware that it is an expensive process.
firstly - there are 2 control devices that sit between the bottle and hob.
one is simply an on/off device that has a red indicator - what this is for i have no idea. the second is a regulator fixed to the inside of the kitchen cupboard.
you also need to have ventilation holes drilled top and bottom in the room that he gas device is installed.

as a final warning - you also need to have the correct jets installed in the hob, and you will probably find that the hose in france has a different thread to the connector on your gas hob.

The pressure in a Butane bottle drops to atmospheric just at freezing point - it is pure coincidence. If the hob is for occaisional use only, a single butane bottle outside should not be a problem. Leave the bottle turned off when you are not using the hob.

Buy all your kit here - the regulator and the hob, and let the French worry about their own kit.

LPG is heavier than air, so it can collect at floor level or in cellars. Yes, you could 'drown' or suffocate in it, but the real risk is if it catches fire. This is the additional danger with LPG versus NG.

@mysteryman

Thanks for your post. If I was going to place he bottle outside i would maybe just opt for propane. But I'll see what the gasman says when he comes out to take a look.

I'll keep the thread updated.

Sponsored Links
Bassdrum, I admire you for putting up with all these morons that have been banging you down for your very plausible idea.
Clearly these numpties would have us believe that it is us and the rest of the world that are barking mad - most of Africa, most of Europe, America, pretty much all of South America use gas bottles indoors, but no not the British like Holty or what ever the idiots name is.
Many people use bottle gas indoors - hundreds of thousands use them in the UK alone for heating (Mobile Calor gas heaters)
So whats the difference between the flame coming out in front of my feet from the Butane bottle 2 inches behind it and the flame cooking your steak coming out of the bottle 1 foot below it.

Bassdrum, do yourself a favour - go on you tube look at exploding gas bottle (propane ones included)
There some crazy American Girls shooting 2 gas bottles with an AK47, and Ausie shooting a gas bottle with a riffle, OOOOOh WOW a British guy opening a bottles valve and lighting it with a lighter - it takes some time to explode (not sure if this is standard), but this guy is not a young loose cannon - he obviously had confidence that he would live.
NOW,
Look at what happens to a British home when there has been a natural gas problem - Kaaabooom no more house - its on BBC news at least once a year.
Watched the videos? - you are much safer with a bottle in your home than a natural gas supply albeit still dangerous.
We turned off the 'rip off merchants' and their natural gas 2 years ago and it will never be turned back on until we sell the house to a 'lesser intellectual'
We still cook with gas and part heat our home with gas bottle heaters.
Problem is most peeps cant even think within one corner of the box never mind out side of it.
British Gas loves these dumbies.
Bassdrum, good luck to you - you are a rarity and the reason humans are not still living in caves - all the best to you mate.
Furthermore, met anyone resently with a normal standard of living that has their house temp drop below freezing?

most of Africa, most of Europe, America, pretty much all of South America use gas bottles indoors, but no not the British like Holty or what ever the idiots name is.
Many people use bottle gas indoors -

you forget to add they dont have the regulation the uk has i notice

here you can buy a propane bottle at the gas station what you do with it after that nobody knows or cares

one assumes by the tone of your post you have never heard of ronan point

the regs are there for a reason :idea: :idea: :idea:

Bassdrum,

I'm shocked at these so called professionals aggresively trying to get you to take their advice - is this a British thing?
I'm sorry - you may very well get more frustrated with me them them eventually, but I am dumbfounded by the arrogance and real lack of intellect of these half baked, half educated so called professionals.
Much talk on all this 'enormous' amount of heavy gas leaking out all over low level.....
Apparently from some of these bright sparks - it wont happen if the cylinder is housed in a specially designed unit like a calor mobile gas heater - now thats amazing how that works???? It must be invisible Star Trek stuff that stops it.

Thank god none of these guys are doing work on my house.
I do all my own work except for plastering, gas, roofing and windows(as cheap to get a seasoned friend to do it as it is to do it ones self)
Signing off the work by a Qualified pro is far better than getting morons in to do it who might be qualified (how I dont know) but lack intelligence.
I seldom go on forums because the loudest are always the least intelligent.

What regs Kev?
I use the bottles in my house - I can assure you - I am breaking no regs - no quoting of regs have been put forward in this posting.
Am I getting your drift?
People in Briton really believe that it is unlawful to shoot a criminal dead in your home here - the fact is - is that like in the most of the states in the US - you can (with in reason) - I'm a security operative part time - I know
Its just an example of how repressed people are here - its how the state controls a rather liberal society (lent from centuries of monarchy and ecclesiastical rule) - its different from the US.
Having said that there are a great deal of positive things I can say about Briton - great place to run a business for one.

I know of RonAn Piont
this was due to a gas line failure - NOT A GAS BOTTLE !
It is unliekly that a gas bottle would have caused this damage even to a building of such inferior construction and now banned.
You reiterate my piont tho - thank you.

if a bottle is connected to a fixed appliance you cant have it inside

corgi as was gas safe as is have a whole book of rules covering lpg

like i said they are there for a reason don't get me wrong some of them may sound half assed but

as a registered op you have to follow them

if your not registered your breaking the law because you are not a "class of person" unless you have passed the ACS (exept householders doing there own stuff)

as a consequence of that the posters are only quoting what they have been told

so there is no point in getting uppity about it
and that my friend is just the way it is ;)

ps as for security operatives some of the flamin parking attendants are armed here :eek:

See Kev,

All bassdrum needed was someone lik eyou to intelligently explain briefly, the dos the donts the whys and the ifs
and what the regs say.
Not some prats calling him an idiot when he wanted to know why.
I stuck up for him because he is thinking outside the box - he is being responsible because he is asking for advice first and he is being determined because he is asking why.
Admirable I think.
Admittedly, I do not have a bottle feeding a built in hob, but their are a lot of people in the uk who do - very quiet they are for the reasons you mentioned obviously and mainly out of towns.
Yeh, traffic wardens with semi's wow - but if you were in the job and some nutter came at you with a weapon - I dont know - I would feel much safer with a weapon - fact is crims have got guns weather they are banned or not and they always got knives or something else (except British Gas - those criminals dont have weapons just lots of cheek.
I've never felt I needed my gun since I moved back to the UK, but lately I'm feeling uneasy with whats happening here.
And British gas -well they're enough to get me a shotgun and a taxi.

Anyway I'll shut up now - go well Kev

As mentioned above - we (I) no longer use NG mains - I turned it off for a number of reasons.
Butane does'nt gas off (excuse the layman terminology) at around freezing
I am not the brightest little nugget in the bucket - I grew up in South Africa.

So heres the complication - We come home after being away for a few days visiting in London.
Its the middle of the last bitter winter.
The house is frozen - literally - its just my brother and I that live there - so the cold is not much of a problem - Saffis are tuff.
We turn on our Blue butane cylinder Calor heaters and they work
We have no central heating - we will turn the Mains natural gas back on when we sell the house - I prefer going on holiday then sponsoring British Gas employees extravagant holidays and the perversely rich Russian Olygarchs that provide it.
The inferior butane works - we are detached and at ground level.
Now I know in South Africa we use CADAC (local version of Calor one could say)
CADAC bottles are a mixture of Butane and Propane in one, so our freezing winters dont affect usage even outside.
We outdoors folk so we spend alot of time in the bush often, and in winter
It gets real cold in winter in South Africa on the highveld (joberg area)

Question is - why do the butane bottles work here in such cold conditions?
Why does the UK not have mixed gas bottles for use?

Hi Holty.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not an idiot - I just fail to see how quantifying something as twice as dangerous as something else means anything?

Surely a properly fitted natural gas installation is not dangerous. If butane is twice as dangerous as this, then it is still not dangerous?

That's all I was asking.

trying to understand your responses.
Ranting and raving at me will not help me to understand.

Thanks for your advice.

Hi we use a campingcar and have a place in Spain. Both use butano/or winter cos of the freezing point Propano.
Yes they can be dangerous so is mains gas, it just take a bit of common.... most of Europe uses these gases for home consumption.
must admit name calling on the forum is not helpful, if you still want advise on fitting write again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back