gas safe and changing rad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just after a bit of advice.
I am replacing a bathroom and the customer wants his old rusty rad replaced for a towel rail.
Its an open vented system which I was going to plug vent pipe and feed pipe in loft and try and change without draining down if poss, if not drain and refill with suitable chemical for boiler/water.

The issue is the customer has had a new boiler put in and checked with them and was told it needed to be carried out by a gas safe registered person.

Is this correct? If so I will get one in.

Cheers
Si.

Sponsored Links
I've fitted a couple of rads, drained down system, put inhibitor in etc. I'm not gas safe and as far as i know you dont need to be gas safe to drain and refill a boiler after changing rads.

It depends on the boiler.
Some have an air vent on the heat exchanger which you have to open the boiler up to access.
Firing up one of them with an airlock in the heat exchanger could cause serious damage.

Sponsored Links
Issue with boiler makes sense, as need to be gas safe to open up I believe.

If I let you know model of boiler would someone let me know if it needs to be opened?

Have changed loads of rads and never had a problem refilling system etc, but there could always a first time!

Thanks for help so far.
Si.

Vaillant Sine 18 T3

After draining a Viessmann needs special refilling procedures to remove air from the heat exchanger.

Furthermore not using the correct inhibitors could invalidate the warrantee!

Tony

If you take the Venting angle.

Worcester RI
Coopra Compact
Vaillants ecoTEC should the pump need changing/venting
Intergas (see above)
Viessmann 100 Series has a manual vent too IIRC.

He only asked for one. :LOL:

The point is, whether you're opening it up or not it's the kind of thing that could cost you an arm and a leg if you fired one up without purging it properly. Which someone who doesn't work on boilers could easily do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back