Gas safe engineer required in Louth area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to start a training course to become Gas Safe qualified. As part of the training I am required to work with a Gas Safe engineer and for them to sign my portfolio.

I appreciate to start with I may be a slight hindrance, however in return for this I will offer my labour for free. I will do the jobs we all hate such cleaning up and running to the van to fetch the tools you forgotten etc

A little about my self. I'm 31 and have a family and as we all do I'm looking for ways to.improve our lifestyle. I currently work in the Manufacturing industry so I'm not shy of early starts and long days. I have a fair bit of experience in plumbing as I've fitted several kitchens and bathrooms (mainly soldered, with a little bit of push fit) and general plumbing stuff.

Please can anybody help in the Louth, Grimsby or Lincoln area?

Sponsored Links
Try the plumbers merchants put up a notice see if you can get something. Bob

A couple of points to remember -

1. You would always be expected to work non gratis as the experience and portfolio evidence is an expensive commodity. If I were you I wouldn't word it as you are 'offering your time for free' (sounds a bit pretentious) rather than confirm it's a given that you wouldn't be paid for the time.
2. You will be working as an apprentice so again expect to do the gofer and cleaning work as a matter of course, rather than an offering. A good engineer won't let you do it all anyway.
3. You want to be as proficient in solder/pipework skills as you can be, get lots of practice in. That is a primary skill for gas work and will make your portfolio work much easier and make you an easier sell to a prospective trainer.
4. Be humble, as far as the engineer is concerned you are an apprentice regardless of how old you are or how much you think you know.

The reasons for this is I have had a few trainees out with me to do exactly that portfolio work, out of the 5 I've had, I had to bin 3 of them. Bad manners, no effort (lazy), know it alls, bad timekeeping etc .... 2 were brilliant but they had come to the process ready to go, had some pipe skills, well mannered etc, It honestly makes a huge difference.

Sponsored Links
A couple of points to remember -

1. You would always be expected to work non gratis as the experience and portfolio evidence is an expensive commodity. If I were you I wouldn't word it as you are 'offering your time for free' (sounds a bit pretentious) rather than confirm it's a given that you wouldn't be paid for the time.
2. You will be working as an apprentice so again expect to do the gofer and cleaning work as a matter of course, rather than an offering. A good engineer won't let you do it all anyway.
3. You want to be as proficient in solder/pipework skills as you can be, get lots of practice in. That is a primary skill for gas work and will make your portfolio work much easier and make you an easier sell to a prospective trainer.
4. Be humble, as far as the engineer is concerned you are an apprentice regardless of how old you are or how much you think you know.

The reasons for this is I have had a few trainees out with me to do exactly that portfolio work, out of the 5 I've had, I had to bin 3 of them. Bad manners, no effort (lazy), know it alls, bad timekeeping etc .... 2 were brilliant but they had come to the process ready to go, had some pipe skills, well mannered etc, It honestly makes a huge difference.

Thank you for the tips.

I did think it might seem a little pretentious however I wanted to make sure people know I'm not taking the pi55 in expecting payment.

I would say my pipework skills are fairly good as in I can solder, cut accurately, make compression joints including stopping old ones from leaking. The only thing I would say I'm quite poor at is anything other than simple bends on the pipe bender.

I can appreciate how hard it can be for a plumber to train somebody and in all fairness not get a lot in return. It must be so frustrating and annoying when they turn out to be c**cks. I'm going to change my wording a bit though. Thanks for the advice.

I worked for East Coast Gas years ago now Westlands they use to have a fair few people come for hands on experience/ portfolio work

Aaron Services in boston cover a wide area of Lincolnshire

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back