Gas Safe question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
iv'e been in the industrial and commercial side of the heating industry for 9 years and am thinking of getting domestic gas safe certified. Ive been installing all sizes of gas through my company and am also qualified to weld gas. My main question is how i would go about starting this process? I am apprentice served and have an NVQ lv3 in industrial and commercial heating and ventilation. Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks
Jay

Sponsored Links
Why would you want to down skill and become a house basher.

Good welders are hard to come by.

Why would you want to down skill and become a house basher.

Good welders are hard to come by.

Because Joe-90 is bored and been googling? Sorry for the cynacism, but no commercial dudes would bother with domestic... surely. I'd love to be able to to do a commercial apprentiship.

Sponsored Links
Theres nothing wrong with broadening my horizons. I find it silly that im able to weld 8" gas and install it, feeding a 1 megawatt setup but im not able,by law, to install an off the shelf combi boiler. The boilers I install come with commisioning packs usually I dont deal with that side of things but our company does have 1 commercial gas safe bloke on board if we need to purge and work on existing commercial systems.
And just to add welding looks cool, sounds cool but really isnt. 10 hours a day stuck under a lid is not my kind of thing. I dont mind it every now and then but not on a long term basis.

What welding tickets do you hold mate?

Commercial and domestic are like chalk and cheese. There's a lot to learn and no short cuts if you want to do it properly.

ive got class 2 welding, I never really saw the need to go for class 1 as i really REALLY didnt want to carry it on and go for a career in it. Ive also got gas welding on my ticket but thats really a dying trade now which is a shame as i really enjoyed it, so much more calm than destructive, unforgiving arc.
I do realise that commercial and domestic are miles apart but its another notch id like to add to my post so to speak and id like to have it no other way than learning the thorough proper way.

Proper way would be to serve a domestic apprentaship.

Easiest way is to just get your domestic ACS as your eligible to sit if your already a ACS holder in commercial, and go and play,

You'll soon wonder why you bothered.

Give me a couple of mega watt boilers over a 30kw anyday of the week!

You still looking for a welder Mark?

No not at the moment. Got a good one I use as and when. My question to Jay was just me being nosey.

Jay - before you go and spend out on getting your domestic, go and do a few weekends with someone to see if you like it. Me and LeeC do both and I think I know what we both prefer!

Yep there's an ACS conversion course to go from com to dom core.
You'll need to do cookers, (CKR1) and boilers/water heaters (CENWAT) and maybe Fires (HTR1) and Warm Air (DAH1) as well, to be able to actually do anything .
In 5 years as gas assessor I think I saw the conversion done about 4 times, it was usualy for the equivalent of the "caretaker's cooker".

my bro is a commercial gas pipe welder, now he does house bashing...

and he's a tit, i wouldn't let him install a boiler in my house, commercial guys seem to have a flagrant disregard for regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back