Gas safe card question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I work for a gas company servicing boilers mainly. I am on their gas safe register but would like to get my own gas safe card, so I can do work outside my work hours. Does anyone know how to go about this?
I have appliaed to join the combustion chamber yesterday but have not been approved yet.

Many thanks fro your help

Sponsored Links
I guess you just contact GasSafe and ask them.There is more than likely a charge involved,and I've heard £250+

You will be interviewed and put on the probation list for a period of months and they will inspect your jobs.

275 quid for renewal must be more to apply i think

Hi

I work for a gas company servicing boilers mainly. I am on their gas safe register but would like to get my own gas safe card, so I can do work outside my work hours. Does anyone know how to go about this?
I have appliaed to join the combustion chamber yesterday but have not been approved yet.

Many thanks fro your help

This makes me laugh!

more like so you can nick your bosses customers undercutting him whilst, using his transport and or test equipment/materials.

You would need to apply as a bonafide business i.e

1. Company name.....

2. PL Insurance

3. Relevant tools and test equipment ....FGA are to become compulsory in the near future.

4. Application and joining fee, continued annual renewal and probabtion period.

5. If in full time employment! you need to inform your boss that you are registering as a business. Remember your boss needs to pay for you to be on the register under his company name.

6. Notify installation works you have undertaken.

7. More importantly, gas safe shares the works notification information with the inland revenue thus, they have an idea of the amount of work you are undertaken and DO cross check this with turnover figures when you complete your annual tax return.

AND YOU WILL BE DECLARING THIS WON'T YOU?

In other words, either leave your boss and be a man and start up on your own, instead of scabbing his work building a business with his customers.

Good Luck :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
ICANHELP, you got some valid points here - if he is nicking customers then fair comment.

But just consider; when boiler manufacturers/BG/Eon advertise for service engineers, they want you to be qualified already (at your own expense), then they demand you give sole alleigance to them. :confused:

A bit one sided , don't you think? At Poxxy they even contracted me once they'd renewed MY qualifications, that they had enjoyed until expiry. :confused:

One last good deed CORGI did before shutting shop was allow operatives to apply for their own registration, waving the initial registration fee - resulting in BG demanding everyone drop their reg or resign.

They are our qualifications, why should we not use them ourselves? I could also read before joining my firm, am i not allowed books anymore? :confused:

Cheers

I agree with you Beer man but i do think its fair that if a company pays for your ACS renewals then you should have to pay them back if you leave within a certain time ;)

why should have to pay them back acs renewals u come with them
so should they not pay you for extra for that then

This makes me laugh!

more like so you can nick your bosses customers undercutting him whilst, using his transport and or test equipment/materials.

You would need to apply as a bonafide business i.e

1. Company name.....

2. PL Insurance

3. Relevant tools and test equipment ....FGA are to become compulsory in the near future.

4. Application and joining fee, continued annual renewal and probabtion period.

5. If in full time employment! you need to inform your boss that you are registering as a business. Remember your boss needs to pay for you to be on the register under his company name.

6. Notify installation works you have undertaken.

7. More importantly, gas safe shares the works notification information with the inland revenue thus, they have an idea of the amount of work you are undertaken and DO cross check this with turnover figures when you complete your annual tax return.

AND YOU WILL BE DECLARING THIS WON'T YOU?

Most of what as been stated above is a load of ball cocks
:)

It must be so satisfying to be so self righteous.

im going to do the same thing mate and set up on my own while working full time since my lass is having a baby so will be off work. Its just the same as a second job so forget what ICANHELP said. Gassafe said it cost £423 for the first year and £155 each year after. I think its a good thing that you want to set up legaly as you could just fiddle. In the current climate I cant make enought money at my full time job as the prices have been slashed (230 a week LESS than a few years ago). and ICANHELP would you rather people just fiddled because Id love to see you underquote some one doing that. If the lad wants to work extra hour why shouldnt he!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go ahead and get yourself registered. Its most unlikely you will be poaching the boss's work. Either way it keeps you legal and gives you options for the future. Just don't be daft and use the van with the company logo on, you will be spotted, or pinch materials off the van, thats theft. Don't wear the company shirt either. If someone makes a complaint they will ring the company for sure..(seen it happen :LOL: )

My old company eventually banned us from doing private work as a few idiots abused it. After that the only people regularly seen doing private work were the middle management types who were supposed to police it.

Just imagine if they walk in one day and make you redundant. If you have no backup you could be in real trouble. By getting registered and doing a bit of your own work you will be much better prepared. And get yourself some third party liability insurance as well. Simply Business (look em up on the web) are not expensive and it gives you peace of mind and your customers some protection.

Good luck and enjoy the new baby (those were the days eh :LOL: ) Ah...no baby in OP's post..other advice still applies :oops:

Alfredo

Lets go down icanhelps list

1. company name if you mean he has to give his name then yes no need for anything else
2, not required and never has been
3, not required and never has been
4Obviously you have to pay a fee but if registered already through a company probation period is not always required
5. Only if it says so in your existing contract
6. Notify any FLUED installation work
7.Yes they can cross check but DO NOT do it unless being investigated

I makes sence doesnt it to set up while still employed as with the way things are you need to be able to test the water. ICANHELP must just be scared of competition

It makes me smile reading some of those comments about expecting employers to pay for you to get qualifications needed for your job.

Do you really expect a teacher to go to apply for a job and expect the school to pay for their three years spent at uni ?

Its up to the individual to become qualified and then to apply for jobs they are qualified to do.

I never said they should pay me for my qualifications, I just said, it is unfair for them to subsequently claim ownership of them. If they bought them then fair enough. Our payscales dont represent a premium for having these. Besides would a teacher doing home tutoring represent theft of the schools clients?

Cheers

To me any kid needing private tutoring indicates a school is not doing its job.

But a recent news item said that about 15% of kids are having some private tuition. I had always thought that was some kind of luxury for about 1% but apparently not so.

Our 17y.o. had saturday maths extra classes put on ( free ) by the school. Recognition they were not doing a very good job. Although her GCSEs were pretty poor generally she did get a B at maths to my surprise.

Its normal for employers to pay for registration but not always for extra ACS needed for other types of work like commercial or for new ACS needed like CPA.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back