Gas Safety Cert for Old Outdoor Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to let out the property we are moving out of and am about to get the gas saftey certificate sorted out. I am concerned when they come to look at the current boiler they may not be happy.

The boiler is quite an old (may be 15-20 years old) potterton boiler and is housed outside at the back of the house in a bricked enclosure. Being outside I guess there is no worry of carbon monoxide issues, but the flue for this boiler comes straight out of the brick enclosure and is about 1m from the ground. It also has a cage around it. Being that someone could stand straight in front of the flue, would this get a gas safety certificate from a corgi engineer?

Thanks,

TD

Sponsored Links
Providing cage is 50mm froim flue then no prob. if it is closer then it is NCS (not to current standards) and that is not enought to not issue a cert

Nope providing cage is 50mm froim flue then no prob. if it is closer then it is NCS (not to current standards) and that is not enought to not issue a cert

Sponsored Links
Nope providing cage is 50mm froim flue then no prob. if it is closer then it is NCS (not to current standards) and that is not enought to not issue a cert

Thats good news. The grill is just over 50mm away in all directions so that is not a problem. Just measured the height and from the floor to the bottom of the cage it is just over 500mm so I am hoping that won't be a problem either.

I was considering just taking out one of the british gas maintenance contracts to cover the central heating etc but am a bit worried. I have a number of times that they are quite quick to condemn boilers. Considering my boiler is a good 15-20 years old, located outside and perfectly safe what reasons would they use to condemn my boiler and not allow me to take out a maintenance contract?

Thanks,

TD

[quote="TopDog";p="912267]
Thats good news. The grill is just over 50mm away in all directions so that is not a problem. Just measured the height and from the floor to the bottom of the cage it is just over 500mm so I am hoping that won't be a problem either.

I was considering just taking out one of the british gas maintenance contracts to cover the central heating etc but am a bit worried. I have a number of times that they are quite quick to condemn boilers. Considering my boiler is a good 15-20 years old, located outside and perfectly safe what reasons would they use to condemn my boiler and not allow me to take out a maintenance contract?

Thanks,

TD[/quote]

As long as its safe there should be no reason to not take it on contract. Are all the controls, pump and valves accessible?

[quote="TopDog";p="912267]

Thanks,

TD

As long as its safe there should be no reason to not take it on contract. Are all the controls, pump and valves accessible?[/quote]

they are pretty much accessible through two panels on each side of the brick enclosure. Might give them a call. What reasons would they have to condemn a boiler and switch it off if it is located outside?

I was considering just taking out one of the british gas maintenance contracts to cover the central heating etc

I was under the impression that BG won't consider any boiler older than 10 years on a new contract. (But stand to be corrected/educated by others "in the know" ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back