Gas supply size help

Pipesizing doesn't make Corgi any money, people who pay their fees do

I agree.
They have made it a money spinner by charging extortionate fees and getting some crooked government official to make them the only recognized body.
It now states
'If you do gas work for someone else you must be Corgi registered'
It doesn't matter that you have paid a large fee to pass the required theory and practical exams that says you are competent to work on gas, you are then forced to pay these thieves as well, why?
If you pass your driving test you don't then have to register with a company that says you can drive other people around.
Corgi is a monopoly.
We need a nother gas regulating body so there is competition.
I have recently had a Corgi rep in my home to look at a job i wasn't happy with.
He had to check the rest of the house, he noticed the expansion pipe on the combi boiler was not piped to outside.
He said, 'I'll ignore that'
I told him the chap who did my pipe work, who signed the worksheet as a corgi engineer, did not match the description i had been given. In other words, it sounded like he was using someone elses number, he went quiet and said no more about it.
It's a con, they choose when to implement the rules and regs.
Again, sorry if it sounds like i'm getting at you, i'm not, it is just that i have seen so much of this in the last few months and i am now 100% sure that safety is not the issue, it's all to do with ££££££££££££££!

Sponsored Links
Back on topic - CORGI bashing makes me smile.

Fender. If your neighbor replaced the boiler with a modern equivalent and it was connected to her existing steel gas supply, it could void the new boilers warranty. Old steel pipework has a tendency to cause the blockage of gas valves.

Pipe sizing is critical. Not many installations I go out to are sized correctly. Combi Boilers are getting bigger but some installers still feel 22mm no matter how long the run or what route it takes it is sufficient.

Back on topic - CORGI bashing makes me smile.

Fender. If your neighbor replaced the boiler with a modern equivalent and it was connected to her existing steel gas supply, it could void the new boilers warranty. Old steel pipework has a tendency to cause the blockage of gas valves.

And that Registered Gas Man, is the biggest load of rubbish ever posted on DiyNot.

If your neighbor replaced the boiler with a modern equivalent and it was connected to her existing steel gas supply, it could void the new boilers warranty. Old steel pipework has a tendency to cause the blockage of gas valves.

Well thats's a new one on me; IMHO copper pipework has caused far more problems than steel (though still rare in london), several countries ban it outright due to higher levels of hydrogen suphide in their gas.

Sponsored Links
Spooked - how right you are ! Accepting that most Corgi people do a sound professional job, what really bugs me is that other professionals (nurses, teachers etc.) have to work several hours to pay for just one hour of Corgi's time.

Spooked - how right you are ! Accepting that most Corgi people do a sound professional job, what really bugs me is that other professionals (nurses, teachers etc.) have to work several hours to pay for just one hour of Corgi's time.

Instead of RGI's having to explain, and being as the trade is the accused, lets have for a change the case for the prosecution first on this occasion.

Perhaps you could illustrate your point, for the benefit of the forum, by providing an hourly breakdown of what a Corgi registered operative or self employed (not executive) earns (that's earns not charges) as well as that of an actual Corgi organisation's average employee (not exceutive) earns.

What is so difficult about being a nurse, do they have to pay hundreds of pounds to Corgi or the likes to keep their job, do they have to pay thousands of pounds to be told what they already know (ACS) every five years. Have they got a nice cushy job in the warm, with as much free training as they like.

Then we have Teachers, or perhaps thats the wrong word because most wouldn't know where to start, Pay them on performance and the majority would be on £50 quid a week, and why the hell should they have holidays during school breaks.

What is so difficult about being a nurse, do they have to pay hundreds of pounds to Corgi or the likes to keep their job, do they have to pay thousands of pounds to be told what they already know (ACS) every five years. Have they got a nice cushy job in the warm, with as much free training as they like.

Then we have Teachers, or perhaps thats the wrong word because most wouldn't know where to start, Pay them on performance and the majority would be on £50 quid a week, and why the hell should they have holidays during school breaks.

That's not really fair doitall. There's an art to every job and that we've overlooked that fact has only led to poor service. What each person earns may depend on supply & demand and should reflect how good and hard they work. Unfortunately sometimes it doesn't.

Why is it not fair, I leave school as thick as two short planks because the teachers don't give a damn, and couldn't teach me to suck eggs. So I decide I want to be a nurse, the rates of pay are shown in black and white for each level of skill, if you don't like it don't do it, go be a teacher instead.

Why is it not fair, I leave school as thick as two short planks because the teachers don't give a damn, and couldn't teach me to suck eggs. So I decide I want to be a nurse, the rates of pay are shown in black and white for each level of skill, if you don't like it don't do it, go be a teacher instead.

I'm talking about the comparisons not being fair (including those from previous poster), not the individuals salary.

I'm talking about the comparisons not being fair (including those from previous poster), not the individuals salary.

I see and agree in that case.

Everyone thinks Plumbers and heating engineers are all rip off merchants making bucket fulls of dosh, they forget about the running costs, the fat pensions, holiday pay blah de blah etc.

Noone is baming the plumber here.
The reason charges are so high is because CORGI force each and every one who wants to be a gas engineer to join their 'club'.
It is CORGI that is forcing the costs up.
Noone is going to argue with someone gatting a fair price after training.

DoItAll wrote,
What is so difficult about being a nurse,
As for nurses, my daughter is training at the moment, she is in her third year and will have to do two more years to become a midwife.
My nephew is CORGI registered, it took him less than a year to achieve this whilst still being able to make a good living plumbing during the training.
I don't see how that compares!

I agree spooked they don't, which is why I posted.

Good luck to your daughter, I'm sure she's aware of what she's letting herself in for, and how much she will take home every week, now and in the furture

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back