Gas Supply to house!

11 Nov 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I was wondering who is responsible for the gas main into the house from the street to the meter, i think we have a slight leak in the pipe somewhere as i can smell gas every now and then in our front room which runs over the top of it. If it was leaking, how would transco fix it, would they have to dig it all out or could they run a lining inside of the pipe? and the most important think, who would foot the bill?
Sponsored Links
If you smell gas, call free on 0800 111 999

dont wait for the bang.

i smelt it from our downstairs neighbour (befroe we moved) called gas board, man came out confimed smell called police, called locksmith got inot flat found dodyy cooker
breezer said:
If you smell gas, call free on 0800 111 999

Any doubt get them out, any day, any time. DO IT NOW :eek:

They will probably install a new meter outside your property if found to be leaking as gas mains under a building are no longer allowed. This would be foc to you but you may have to pay for connection from new meter to your existing internal gas pipe and NG will probably leave that up to you to arrange.
Incorrect transco are responsible to reconnect internal supply if they decide to move meter
Sponsored Links
Not round my way they don't. I have been called in several times to reconnect the gas on the property side of the meter after NG have just left meter purged and disked.

Unless there is something about the distances involved. Mine have always been front to back of property :confused:
If there is a leak on the service and Transco/National Grid etc move position of meter they should do the re-run to re-connect internals with no charge to customer . Don`t know why they are not doing it down you way dave. If customer asks for meter re-position this is different and it`s down to the customer to get re-run done
I don't understand why they didn't do it then either. The last one I had was a meter in the pantry at the back of the house, NG found that service was leaking under the house, so put new service in to front of property. No mention of connecting to internals. I had to run 28mm back to existing meter position for customer.

I have come across other ones that NG have connected internals but these have always been to the 'other side of the wall'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local