Gaspipe capped in chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does a gaspipe need to have tape on it as mine is capped off in the breast and hole was bricked up by the same engineer I was told all copper pipes should be taped up as they corrode but the engineer told me only pipework covered by cement concrete etc needs taping.

Sponsored Links
If chimney has been used for solid fuel then yeah it should have been taped as falling soot can cause corrision on pipe . but thousands and thousands out there with no ill affect

If the chimney has been used for as a real fireplace (coal/wood) the soot deposits may fall onto the copper pipe and corrode it. If it hasn't you should be fine. If your worried just wrap it in insulation tape yourself

by capped do you mean end feed or compression? Compression should not be used if no longer accessible.

Sponsored Links
also, what do you plan to do with the fireplace??? That wudda been the first question I asked on th disconnection. Nowt worse than an old gas pipe having it's solder melted by a newly installed solid fuel appliance. Bangtastic!!

also, what do you plan to do with the fireplace??? That wudda been the first question I asked on th disconnection. Nowt worse than an old gas pipe having it's solder melted by a newly installed solid fuel appliance. Bangtastic!!

I seem to remember something about no gaspipes allowed in "chimney" other than shortest way to appliance in there e.g. fire.
Appliance gone, gaspipe must be removed. That's how I read it.

If the chimney has been used for as a real fireplace (coal/wood) the soot deposits may fall onto the copper pipe and corrode it. If it hasn't you should be fine. If your worried just wrap it in insulation tape yourself
It has already been bricked up now so thats why I was asking cos starting to worry a bit ya know, it was a solder not compression & im just gonna put an electric fire on the wall (wall hung Flueless).

If you are really worried get someone in to cap it off further upstream, should'nt cost that much for peace of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back