Gate build project.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to have a go at building a wooden gate to replace my very rotten existing wood gate, first question, What sort of wood to use for the gate and what should I protect it with :)

Sponsored Links
what style o gate is it and what finish will it have?

One similar to this....

basic-6ft-garden-gate.gif

Not too concerned about the finish as long as its protected against the elements.

Should I use tongue and groove for the uprights?

you can do or feather edge boarding looks just as nice and cheaper. Will last longer as its already treated

Sponsored Links
I made a gate once, was very proud to create something, made it in the living room, unfortunately nailed it to the laminate flooring, as the nails were slightly too long.... :oops: managed to extract it, and install it, unfortunately it's dropped slightly, so is now 'a wall'.

But Question. See the diagnonal beam? I was told that should go from the top hinge, and away from it, as it's bearing the weight? Not as in that picture, which wouldn't give extra strength???

Also to have 3 'stretchers', to hold the thing together, and two diagnals, again from the hinge downwards, for extra sturdiness?

no the diagonal brace in that picture is correct. the side with hinges on is held by the hinges. the opposing corner has the weight pulling it down and the diagonal brace running to that corner gives it support

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back