Gate installation advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to add a gate between my concrete garage and fence. However I am not sure how this should be done.
I think there was a gate there in the past as there is a hole in the ground by the garage. I'm not sure how to secure the gate to the garage.

I have posted a few pics to the URL below that should explain what I want...
https://picasaweb.google.com/105390632350241920242/DIY#

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
wooded or metal gate?
You need to measure your opening, then find a suitable gate size that is smaller than your overall measurement allow for it least one post if a metal gate and two post if wooded. Unless you know a joiner that can make a made to measure one.
Normally you would concrete the post in, but you have a garage and concrete fence posts, that could come in hand for fixing points.

Wood is prefered. I suspect it will need to be custom made as the gap is quite narrow.

Thanks
Alan

It looks like your garage is a pre-fab concrete panel type?
I think I'd be fixing a post of 3"x2" tanalised timber to the side of the garage, and bolting it through the panels......this could be difficult if you must have the gate post right on the corner where it seems to have been.
One comment though - the edges of the panels are often steel reinforced which can make drilling awkward. If you do decide to drill, go slowly to avoid messy break through on the other side.
Once the post is secure, you can then decide on the hinges to suit the gate material.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It looks like your garage is a pre-fab concrete panel type?
I think I'd be fixing a post of 3"x2" tanalised timber to the side of the garage, and bolting it through the panels......this could be difficult if you must have the gate post right on the corner where it seems to have been.
One comment though - the edges of the panels are often steel reinforced which can make drilling awkward. If you do decide to drill, go slowly to avoid messy break through on the other side.
Once the post is secure, you can then decide on the hinges to suit the gate material.

Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing. The gate doesn't need to be on the corner. Yes, the garage is made of concrete panels bolted together.
I was worried about drilling through it withour cracking the panel.
I have an SDS drill, so will that be ok?

Thanks again for the replies.
Alan

An SDS drill is fine, nice and slow speed with minimum impact power when you start to break through. It won't crack the panel, but there will be a chunk of masonry that breaks away as you go through.
Use something like 10mm bolts, three of them, counterbored into the timber if need be, and a nice large washer on the inside of the panel.

It could be an idea to pilot the hole first instead of going in with a 10-12mm bit.
Slow as mentioned, also to reduce damage, take it off the hammer action for the last few mm.
Once you have piloted hole, you can then drill the hole half and half from both sides. Hopefully avoiding big chunky lump breaking off.
Could also be worth consider a base plate for the post to sit in, this can be bolted down offering a bit more support.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back