gate post?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 6ft gate to hang and have used 4x4 timber posts. I have read in a couple of places that 5x5 should be used and am wondering whether to go with a lighter gate.

Can anyone advise please?

the gate is a fairly heavy hardwood/featherboards gate

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi,
i bought all the materials, including gate to order, from a reputable(?) supplier in Kent and 4x4 posts were supplied including gate and fixings (2 X medium Tee hinges)

the wooden posts are 2.7m (3ft in ground) and have been set in concrete, just the gate left to hang.

Not sure what to do now. Am tempted to go with lighter gate. thanks

Hi,

That was a bit naughty of them :mad: But to try and make good out of a bad situation you can add a block of wood at the opposite end of the gate ( op from post) so that the full weight of gate is not putting all the stresses on the post.

I would still be tempted to change ironmongary!

Best of luck

Sponsored Links
Having seen the gate in the other post. He meant 6ft high! :rolleyes:

if its the gate in the other posts then a 4 x 4 will be fine as its a softwood closeboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back