Gate valve as a bypass valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey if using a gate valve as a bypass valve how far open should it be so its working as a bypass, but not letting too much water flow through to affect the heat to the raditors?

Sponsored Links
Open it a quarter turn and see if everything heats up ok.

If you have something like a bathroom radiator that is always open.
The bypass is completely pointless so have it shut.

Sponsored Links
Thanks does the auto bypasses not allow any flow through untill there needed i.e all the valves/ zone valves are shut?

Ok, what if you have a 3 port valve, a rad can't act as a bypass in this situation?

I.e when it shuts,

Ok, s plan? Two zone valves?

Am I right in thinking a three port rests in an open position?

Ok, s plan? Two zone valves?

Am I right in thinking a three port rests in an open position?

Yes, but still better to have an auto bypass valve because it's designed to maintain constant differential pressure as well as allow flow, this prevents noises.

They normally are best set at 0.2 bar

only need a by pass on an s plan with pump over run

Sorry, that's rubbish.

You need a by pass to comply with regs and as mentioned- provide a minimum flow through the boiler.

There are a few exceptions, like a thermal store system or boiler where a variable output pump can be used. However even here you need a bypass. Regs say automatic IIRC, but a manual here would be better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back