How efficient are boiler bypass now

The only good reason a TRV should be on a towel rail is to stop a child getting burnt. That’s my guess why all towel rails fitted in new builds have them on.
That's a Tmv not a trv, and it goes on hot water outlets not radiators.
New builds have trvs in order to meet part l.

Sponsored Links
instead of helping out people it soon turns in to a ****ing contest
There's a divide between the pros who know all the regs and terminology and everyone else on this forum. If you don't know your stuff inside out you'll be slated on invented unrelated matters:LOL:

There's a divide between the pros who know all the regs and terminology and everyone else on this forum. If you don't know your stuff inside out you'll be slated on invented unrelated matters:LOL:
What I mean is remeber the reason we are on here. To help people. How’s it helping people by making them more paranoid. They don’t understand. It sounds like mumbo to them. To many what ifs when we all know most of it will never happen. Break it down make what you are saying more relatable to them Instead people are just showing how big their dicks are.

Ok many thanks to everyone for there help before all out war develops, I am going to do away with the gatevalve (manual bypass) and fit a trv to the bathroom towel warmer and as the hall has the stat in it fit the lockshiels from the bathroom onto it. I am a timeserved plumber but have been out of the heating side for a while so Thought to ask what good practices are used nowadays for my question, once again many thanks to you all for helping out.

Sponsored Links
That's a Tmv not a trv, and it goes on hot water outlets not radiators.
New builds have trvs in order to meet part l.
I know what a thermostatic mixer valve is. They started putting them on new builds specifically on bath taps as people were running baths on max and leaving them. There were a few reported cases of kids jumping in and scalding themselves.
I mean TRV on towel rails because towel rails get hotter than radiators. For example set it on 3 then lock them off to regulate the towel rail temp.

Ok many thanks to everyone for there help before all out war develops, I am going to do away with the gatevalve (manual bypass) and fit a trv to the bathroom towel warmer and as the hall has the stat in it fit the lockshiels from the bathroom onto it. I am a timeserved plumber but have been out of the heating side for a while so Thought to ask what good practices are used nowadays for my question, once again many thanks to you all for helping out.
I 100% think that is the best thing to do.

I mean TRV on towel rails because towel rails get hotter than radiators. For example set it on 3 then lock them off to regulate the towel rail temp.
Towel rails connect to the same heating circuit as the radiators so should reach the same temperature.
A trv aims to regulate the room temperature and doesn't directly regulate the surface temperature or water temperature of the towel rail.
If the room is cold, the trv will be open so the rail will be at primary water temperature

Towel rails connect to the same heating circuit as the radiators so should reach the same temperature.
A trv aims to regulate the room temperature and doesn't directly regulate the surface temperature or water temperature of the towel rail.
If the room is cold, the trv will be open so the rail will be at primary water temperature
Let’s not forget what we were on about here. And that was why he should or shouldn’t have a TRV on a chrome towel rail. CHROME towel rails get hotter because of the simple fact they are chrome. Room temperature is mainly caused by the temperature of the radiator or in this case the towel rail. So by setting the number on the TRV lower will cause the towel rail temperature to decrease therefore causing the room temperature to decrease. In any case the towel rail will never get scalding hot if the correct setting is selected. The TRV simply regulates the flow of hotwater to the towel rail.if I set my TRV to 2 it will never get as hot as the other radiators in the house thatt are set on 4. They are not that technical.

Cwheating i think we are both sure we are right so in the end we will have to agree to disagree! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday(y)

The only good reason a TRV should be on a towel rail is to stop a child getting burnt. That’s my guess why all towel rails fitted in new builds have them on. Like my house. The bypass was on the hallway rad. Coldest room in the house and where the roomstat is situated.

A manual valve on a towel rail can be turned down to a setting which does not allow the towel rail to get “scalding hot”... exactly the same as a TRV.
However, once temp is reached at a TRV then it will shut down and isolate the towel rail from the circuit. This will prevent it from continuing to warm/dry towels and keep the room warmer than others for when you come in and strip off to take a bath/shower... that’s not me trying to win a f***ing contest, it’s just applied logic from my POV!

A manual valve on a towel rail can be turned down to a setting which does not allow the towel rail to get “scalding hot”... exactly the same as a TRV.
However, once temp is reached at a TRV then it will shut down and isolate the towel rail from the circuit. This will prevent it from continuing to warm/dry towels and keep the room warmer than others for when you come in and strip off to take a bath/shower... that’s not me trying to win a f***ing contest, it’s just applied logic from my POV!
You’re r bang on right mate. No numbers or temp settings on a lock shield valve though.
Plus lockshield valves are not made to be constantly turned on and off or as we all know they start to leak.

You’re r bang on right mate. No numbers or temp settings on a lock shield valve though.
Plus lockshield valves are not made to be constantly turned on and off or as we all know they start to leak.

Granted but you can get manual towel
Rail valves that will allow you to set the flow and return and then “lock them off” so they can’t be tampered with, without tools... and a standard lockshield can have the wheel head removed and the little pope’s hat put in its place :)

Granted but you can get manual towel
Rail valves that will allow you to set the flow and return and then “lock them off” so they can’t be tampered with, without tools... and a standard lockshield can have the wheel head removed and the little pope’s hat put in its place :)
I noticed on certain TRVs you can do that also. Before you fit the head you can adjust the flowrate,lock it off then fit the TRV head. An anti tamper TRV

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back