How efficient are boiler bypass now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi due to get a new boiler (ideal logic ) fitted and at the moment towel warmer has normal valves fitted and rest of house has trv’s but also there is a manual bypass fitted (gate valve) between flow and return. So 2 questions can I remove the manual bypass (gate valve) and can I change the towel warmer to trv’s and would the boiler bypass work or should I keep the towel warmer as standard valves ?

Sponsored Links
To be compliant with current building regulations an automatic bypass will have to be fitted. So the fixed bypass will be removed. It also depends on whether you have 2 ports or a 3 port. You dont say what type of boiler you having fitted. Combi , heat only or system.

Normal practice is to have manual valves on towel warmers - aside from acting as a bypass - washrooms are usually kept at a higher temp than other rooms as they are... not constantly occupied; where you are most likely to be naked; used to dry wet towels.

Sponsored Links
The bypass just needs to ensure minimum water flow through the heat exchanger. If a manufacturer shipped a boiler with a bypass and pump that didn't meet the requirement, they'd be idiots:LOL:

I’m gonna get slated for this but if you don’t ever intend to turn off all your radiators at once then I wouldn’t worry to much about a bypass on a combi. Infact I’ve never come across a manual bypass/gatevalve on a combi installation. I would remove it.
Don’t some combis have bypass valves fitted in them already ?

Okay to update the manual bypass is from about 20 years ago when the system was run with a back boiler and radiators in all rooms, I changed all the valves to trv’s at the time then changed the bathroom rad to a towel warmer keeping the trv on it. Roll on to the present and I am getting my Combi replaced on Tuesday with the ideal logic 30kw Combi so was looking for up to date info on what are the preferred practices in regards to the bypass and the bathroom towel warmer valve, so asked on here if I removed the bypass an£ had the bathroom back to a trv would the boiler bypass cope if all the trv’s closed

If all rad TRVS were off and you used hotwater then your boiler will be fine. Ask yourself this If all the trvs are closed then why would the central heating be on?
But no your boiler would go to lock out if you put the heating on and all rad valves were closed. Honestly if you are that worried put two lock shield valves on the radiator of the coldest room in the house which is usually the hallway where most of the time the room stat is situated.

Ask yourself this If all the trvs are closed then why would the central heating be on?
Frost protection active, thermostat not adjusted correctly.
But no your boiler would go to lock out if you put the heating on and all rad valves were closed
Only if the bypass was also closed or blocked, otherwise the boiler just modulates/turns on and off to heat the water in the primary circuit as normal.

So I remove the old manual bypass, I think we agree on that, now do I keep the towel warmer on lockshields or can I change to trv’s for uptodate thinking in regards to fuel economy or am I getting this wrong

On the short time I’ve been on these forums I’ve noticed instead of helping out people it soon turns in to a ****ing contest. Gotta remember guys their general lack of understanding and having a simple query could make them more paranoid of things that could happen but rarely happen.

See my post above... I wouldn’t put a TRV on a towel rail in a bathroom.
The only good reason a TRV should be on a towel rail is to stop a child getting burnt. That’s my guess why all towel rails fitted in new builds have them on. Like my house. The bypass was on the hallway rad. Coldest room in the house and where the roomstat is situated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back