Gate valve mystery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I may be about to show my ignorance but....

My hot water cylinder has (amongst others) two pipes of interest: one exiting mid-way up and connecting to a 3-way electronic valve that's wired to my boiler timer and the other exiting at the bottom and linking up to the middle down pipe of the 3-way valve (stay with me!) via a gate valve (the one with the round red handle). This valve is now leaking.

I'd imagined that it would be fairly simple to replace the valve: turn off the water, drain the tank, fit new valve etc. My only concern is that the pipework gets hot when the central heating is turned on. I have a sealed pressurised system that I had (perhaps naively!) assumed was completely independent of the hot water system.

Am I missing something here or are the two systems in some way linked and the job is not as easy as I imagine, or is it some strange coincidence and the job a straightforward one?

Sponsored Links
I think I'm getting a better understanding here! Have a look at this link:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/domestic_hot_water_systems.htm

My system looks like the picture on the right (indirect cylinder): Pipe #3 is connected to the leaking gate valve and pipe #4 to the 3-way electronic valve.

The implication from this article is that the hot water is heated as a by-product of the central heating system. My hot water can be heated independently from the heating, so is it possible that the electronic 3-way valve (connected to the boiler timer) is used to select either a direct boiler feed or a feed from the heating system?

So where does that leave me? I'm not sure what I have to drain to remove the valve!

By the way, the valve is leaking from the point the spindle enters the body.

Sponsored Links
I tried tightening but that briefly made things worse! I may have another go and see if I can stop the leak.

If that doesn't work, any ideas on what to drain?

I'm moving in January, so plan B may be to put a drip tray under it for now until it becomes someone elses problem!

would think its a balancing walve for the hot water side
if you turn the system off
close the valve (count the turns )
remove the red wheelhead
remove the gland nut (top of the valve )where the spindle enters
wrap a couple of turns of thread tape round replace the nut/head etc
open the valve to where it was then tighten the nut a little more

if you need to renew it its a drain down :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back