Gate Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The gate valve from my CW storage tank to the HW cylinder is feeling a bit dodgy... I can hear a rattling noise as I turn it (sounds like something loose inside the valve) and as I unscrew it, it occasionally goes a little tighter, then loose again. I suspect it's either already broken internally, or it's about to. I'll be replacing it with a full bore lever ball valve.

Question is, is there any risk of turning it anti-clockwise too far and the threaded portion coming out of the valve body with a resulting emergency leak situation occurring? I'm asking because I want to make sure the valve is as open as possible until I get around to replacing it.

Sponsored Links
No risk of that.

But they can break inside and usually in the closed position.

Just replace it.

Tony

Quite normal operation...the threads are poorly machined, very course and often full of scale. Open if up as far as it will go...shouldn't be any risk. You may need to tighten down the gland nut to prevent leakage on the spindle.

Most tend to snap off in the shut position in my experience. Usually when I'm changing a cylinder and/or it's a Friday afternoon!

Sponsored Links
I had the entire guts of a 28mm gate valve come out on me a few years ago. I was able to ram it back in and hold it in with electrical tape while I drained down to replace with a lever valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back