gate valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
with gate valves in the open position should i be able to pass a flex through the opening?

i would have thought so but both my gate valves (either side of pump) in the open position, i cannot pass a flex through? is the opening quite small?

surely both at the same time haven't broken in the closed position?

Sponsored Links
i think it's standard 15mm pipe/valve. the flex can't be more than 5mm.

should it open fully to 15mm? if so mine definitely aint open!

Sponsored Links
Can't you just disconnect the pipe and look through the valve? You won't get a flex through the pump as the impeller is in the way

Was any other work carried out prior to the pump failing, were these valves closed for any reason?

Can't you just disconnect the pipe and look through the valve? You won't get a flex through the pump as the impeller is in the way

not trying through pump, it's removed (well head is)

Was any other work carried out prior to the pump failing, were these valves closed for any reason?
yeh closed them due to slight leak from top nut on pump so put new washer in.

then the problems began.

initially thought it was an air lock problem, then thought maybe feed from header tank blocked, now looks as if gate valve stuck closed!

trying to confirm but other gate valve seems the same?? (see above re passing flex through) surely they haven't both failed closed at the same time!!

want to confirm they're stuck closed and knackered before starting draining system, freezing/cutting pipes etc.

What I would do next is ........

Slacken off the nut on the incoming water side by 2 turns, wiggle the valve a little bit to see if any water drips out, I suspect water will so then tighten the nut back up. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey, to much to fast and your gonna get wet!

then the problems began.

initially thought it was an air lock problem, then thought maybe feed from header tank blocked, now looks as if gate valve stuck closed!

trying to confirm but other gate valve seems the same?? (see above re passing flex through) surely they haven't both failed closed at the same time!!

want to confirm they're stuck closed and knackered before starting draining system, freezing/cutting pipes etc.

Sounds like the shaft spindles have sheared to me.

then the problems began.

Sounds like the shaft spindles have sheared to me.

that's what i'm thinking but don't think i was heavy handed closing/opening them?

would you be able to tell when turning it if this is the case? would it turn more freely?

Not really, Don`t blame yourself it happens all to often. To others reading this "When was the last time you turned your main house stop valve a few turns left and right?"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back