gate valves

Surely the system is already drained if the pump is removed and the valves open so you can try to poke wire through them ? Take the valves off and have a look.

Sponsored Links
Surely the system is already drained if the pump is removed and the valves open so you can try to poke wire through them ? Take the valves off and have a look.

no not drained. gate valves closed for pump head removal. then very slowly opened to see if water was coming through......but it wasn't. so fully opened up and poked wire in but doesn't get past valve so i can only assume they're closed still and therefore buggered!

Pump valves hardly cost £6 each for good gate types.

Two valves cost about what I paid for a nice Indian meal tonight with a lady wearing a beautiful saree!

How about replacing them?

Usually you can reuse the nut and olive on the pipe.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Pump valves hardly cost £6 each for good gate types.

Two valves cost about what I paid for a nice Indian meal tonight with a lady wearing a beautiful saree!

How about replacing them?

Usually you can reuse the nut and olive on the pipe.

Tony

i think that's what i'll have to do. would it be better to get ball valves?

can i get away with just draining the pipework above the valve? i.e. bung the feed from header tank and drain down pipe to airing cupboard?

I can't get my head round why you can't visualy check the pump valves? It's pretty obvious if the valves are shut.

I can't get my head round why you can't visualy check the pump valves? It's pretty obvious if the valves are shut.

Maybe they are installed in such a way that it is difficult to see hence using a probe through the middle of the valve to see if there is resistance.

Maybe they are installed in such a way that it is difficult to see hence using a probe through the middle of the valve to see if there is resistance.

exactly :)[/QUOTE]

Even with a lamp and mirror?

If you cant get a small item through the middle of the valve it`s not open, you don`t need a mirror to tell you that!

Would you not like to know if the blockage is due to a valve not open or plugged with debris????

Fed from a water tank? Anyway a scrape around with a small screwdriver would tell you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back