Gavanised beam or not.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys and girls.

I’m just looking at ordering the beam for over our bi-folds.
It’s a UB with plate welded to bottom at take the external blockwork.

Would galvanising really be necessary for this?

The suppliers asked if I need it to be and said it needs it if it’s outside. Strictly speaking, it’s not outside, is it?

What’s best for it in the cavity?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It does need to be protected in some way if it's likely to be damp, ours came with that red oxide primer paint, although most of them were within the insulation layer so it didn't matter. That was all in the designs from the SE though

Whoever specifies the beam should specify the performance and hence the coating.

Galvanising on its own does not help; over time, the mortar becomes slightly acidic and begins to attack the zinc.
As you are using a fabricated steel beam, best treatment is a couple of coats of red oxide, PLUS, the builder should incorporate
a flexible dpc over the top of the steel to protect it from rain getting into the cavity.

Sponsored Links
There is another similar topic on here where they are getting in all sorts of trouble because the construction details were not sorted out before work started on site. Have you had any drawings /construction details prepared and approved for the structural work under building regulations? Has a structural engineer calculated the beam size and specified any concrete padstones for the beam to sit on ? Other things to consider are dpc tray over beam and weep vents in vertical mortar joints, minimising risk of condensation due to cold bridging across steel.

Thanks guys.

The SE has specified the beam and said it needs to have adequate rust protection to satisfy building regs.

Thanks

SE didn't say what that meant then ! i.e. what sort of rust protection - wasn't that part of the original question ? I would say red oxide paint but tell the SE to specify the finish for you to submit to Building Control.
Regards

I have to say Ive not noticed finish specified on structural cals / drawings.

Ive always painted red oxide on them.

Any silly bugger can just say 'adequate whatever to satisfy building regulations ' !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back