Gazco Studio 2 fire - cutting out randomly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall mounted Gazco Studio 2 fire with a balanced flue.

fire.jpg

The remote has a thermostat feature whereby you can set the required temperature and the remote control automatically adjusts the fire to suit.

Recently, if I have the fire in the thermostat mode, it will just completely cut out after a random amount of time - sometimes it will run for 45 minutes - sometimes it will run for 5 minutes.

If I just put the fire on the 'manual' control setting (i.e. the fire is just 'on' and then you are required to control the flames up/down yourself via the remote) then the fire stays lit all night without any problems.

I just wondered if anyone on here has any idea what the issue could be that could cause this behaviour?

Many thanks for any help you can give me :)

Sponsored Links
Try giving their tech help a call, they have been brilliant for me in the past.

Could be the control or it could be the pcb not modulating the flame.

Dan

Hi Dan

Thanks for getting back to me. I did send an email to their support but they've not got back to me yet (I sent it on Saturday).

The strange thing is that it's started working again?

Over the weekend I decided to put it into thermostat mode and try and time how long it took to cut out. I was thinking that if I got more info on the fault it might help someone who knows what they're doing diagnose it. However, it just didn't cut out! And I've been using it fine ever since?!?!

I'm assuming that the issue might have been either due to the temperature outside (our gas pipe feeding it runs outside and I wasn't sure if the temperature would affect the amount of gas getting to the fire somehow??), or some crap that's got in to something that has been burnt off?? Or something else.

However, I'm going to keep an eye on it. I've got a gas engineer coming next week to service my boiler and he said he would take a look as well.

Thanks again for your help and I'll certainly phone them if I have any more problems.

Cheers :)

just by chance as I had exactly the same thing in a block of luxury flats, are you in a new build where all houses,flats have the same fire ? if so when you switch yours on next doors might come on too so they then switch theirs off which also switches yours off,my customer said she had a ghost that kept switching the fire on

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ian.

I don't live in flats but you're idea of someone having the same signal as me and turning the fire is a good one.

I don't *think* that is what's happening though in this case. When the fire goes off it's more like it's just cutting out rather than a controlled stop. Also, when the fire has been on without the thermostat it has worked fine.

However, it was certainly a brilliant idea and thanks for giving me the heads up.

Cheers :)

I ended up here as I'm having the same issue although I don't have the thermostat option switched on with the remote.

Just wondered if you finally got an answer to the issue?

I don't have any experience of Gazco fires, but I would possibly be looking at the bypass on the gas valve:

Questions:
If turned off manually, does the pilot go off (I am guessing yes)
If on auto, when the room is "satisfied", does

a) the pilot go out
b) the fire be left with a very low light

I ended up here as I'm having the same issue although I don't have the thermostat option switched on with the remote.

Just wondered if you finally got an answer to the issue?

I ended up going to the Gazco technical help people. They recommended changing the burner, the thermocouple and the sparky-thing. I did this and the fire has been brilliant since then.

I ordered the parts through their website. I have a mate who is a gas engineer and he popped in after I'd changed the parts to give the fire a sniff test and all was well.

If you're not confident changing those bit then I would just buy them from the website and then ask a gas engineer to do it for you as they are quite fiddly.

Hope that helps. Good luck with it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back