GCOL are you there ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just read you sticky on tilling and I have a few questions please if you don't mind........ :confused:

going to have a bash at tiling, going to start round the back of the freezer, then if it is completely **** no one will see :LOL:

just wanted to ask : how much adhesive do you put on the wall, is it a thin layer or a thick one, I will be using 2" square tiles, the walls are very flat and smooth, it had paper on it before no tiles to chip off............lol and where do you put the spacer, is it better to put them at the corners or could I put them in the middle, do you put them sticking out then you can pull them out or do you have them flat to the wall :rolleyes: I know its a doh question but need to ask :rolleyes:

When and if I get good I have a metre patch on two walls to do, oh and what do you do on the corners, do you have to use that plastic strip stuff or could I just butt them up to the other tiles and then grout it ???

ta

as always

:cool:

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a notched trowel - 6mm notches are about standard for wall tiles but I prefer using a slightly smaller notch. I think B&Q do a cheap 5mm one. It might not sound like much difference but it makes it easier to get the tiles flat to each other. Saves adhesive too. ;)
Slap the adhesive on the wall, then comb it horizontally to leave even ribs.
Fit the spacers so that they stick out then you can remove them (wiggle them gently to remove them). Fit one spacer at each side of each tile and one in between the tiles in the vertical joint. For the corners, yes you can use the plastic trims if you like or you can fit them without but you'll see the tile edge. You can mitre the edges of the tiles so that they fit to a sharp point on the external corners, but to be honest, I wouldn't bother - they get damaged easily. And what with you being heavy handed and all.....

"as always" :eek: Bunny + pan + water ;)

thanks for the advice as always, and as for my delicate touch it comes in handy sometimes ;)

going to buy a cutter from argos they have them for 30.00 it should do for me, being a novice as you know................... ;) as I only have a few to do and will come in handy when I am a expert and start up my own business............... :LOL: just don't tell the misses :idea:

I will get the edge trims, don't really like them but it will do and if it stops the corners being chipped then that's fine for me.....

will let you know how I get on....................................................... :rolleyes:

started my tiling last night and even though I do say it myself, did a bloody good job, and I quite enjoyed it, I took pics, but will have to figure out how to get them on here.............

can I ask another, yes another question.............. :rolleyes:

I have to cut round a plug socket, so I have to cut out a piece I know to cut the the top and bottom cuts but how do you cut the down bit to join to 2 cuts, hope that makes sense ?????

I bought one of the table top cutters, electric one ?????

ta, as always :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
This is another reason why I always used an angle grinder. ;)
With your table top type saw you'll have to make a series of cuts in between the cuts you've already made and then break them off. (see below)
Or, as in the bottom sketch, make two diagonal cuts and then nibble the shaded area away with either the blade or a pair of tile nippers.
Another way (which I don't recommend you do) is to use the top part of the blade to make the cut. But you're dangerous enough without doing this!
When you mark out the tile, ensure that the cuts are behind the socket so the edges are not seen.
How is it that you've ended up with a cut like this on a 2" tile anyway? Are you not using 100mm (4") tiles?

DSC00527.jpg

Just to hijack this post with another suggestion.............

Another way is wet cut the two straight horizontal cuts (as per gcol's diagram above) in to the tile and then scribe across to join them together and snap off. That is the easiest way. Use a bar cutter (Rubi for example) or if wall tiles then a hand scribe would do the scribe to join up the two wet cuts.

thanks will have a go tonight, can not see the diagrams, but get the picture, if not i might have to do it in 3 bits 2 above and one big one, its behind the frezzer so no one will see.................... :LOL:

I will try and get the pics on

ta boys

;)

Hmmm, be careful advising the use of a score and snap type tile cutter. To do this sort of cut you need a cutter with a movable breaker. The popular Rubi TS cutters (mine included) don't have a movable breaker. The Rubi TX range do but they start at over £300.
I'd use a decent diamond blade (Marcrist) in an angle grinder over a wet table saw any day.

Bear in mind if they are wall tiles you can score with a bar cutter (Rubi TS / TR) or hand scribe and snap with your hands provided the cut is far enough into the tile. I used to use this method - very quick. I was a tiler in the late 1980's.

Each to there own of course - if the result is the same who cares how you do it - it's what you feel happy doing and what tools you have to hand.

yes thanks I agree, and being a novice I think I will do it in 3 bits, not professional I know but it will do and I have only been waiting for 6 months for a tiler so anything is better than bare walls. :rolleyes:

no honest its fine.................... but thanks :)

I will do the two cuts then do other cuts like a comb then see if i can snapp the bits off and then file the inside so its smooth, I have only one to do... it will keep me busy and out of mischief :D

You'll find that if you cut the sections thin enough they'll break away while you're cutting them anyway. You don't need to file the edge smooth - you should be able to get it good enough with the the cutting wheel. Plus it's not that important to get a perfect finish if the edge is going to be behind the socket. By this I mean, loosening the socket and slipping the tile behind it.

oh right, well James who did the other tiling, but fogot 3 area's :( tiled around the socket so I will have to do the same on the other side, i.e. not take the socket off but tile against the edges.............

( I tell you never leave a work man to do a job while you are on holday )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back