GCSE Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm currently starting my alarm c/w and I was wondering, as I'm using pressure pads, would be OK with using a latching thyristor as I would also likemy alarm to oscillate.

Sponsored Links
Don't quite get what you mean by a latching thyristor, could you use logic (74ls) series semiconductors? Relays? For oscilations I always found the 555timer circuit one of the easiest ones to make.

bigevil-wba said:
Hi, i'm currently starting my alarm c/w and I was wondering, as I'm using pressure pads, would be OK with using a latching thyristor as I would also likemy alarm to oscillate.

AFAIK, all thyristors latch, and the input has to be interupted to 'reset' it. transistors dont normally latch

Spark123 said:
Don't quite get what you mean by a latching thristor, could you use logic (74ls) series semiconductors? Relays? For oscilations I always found the 555timer circuit one of the easiest ones to make.

depending on voltage, it might be better to use CMOS 4000 series instead of TTL. i would imagine the alarm would use a 9V battery and TTL needs 5V

Sponsored Links
If you use a 555 you don't need a seperate latch. This circuit would do the trick, and latch itself. Obviously this is actually a tilt switch for a pinball machine, but the principle is the same. Simply remove the mercury switch and replace it with your pressure mat.

555ex3.gif

Spark123 said:
Voltage regulators?

was tryin to keep it simple. altho if he did want to make it harder, then 7805 would do, and a few caps

bigevil-wba said:

A relay is a good latch and pretty immune to other votltages,
Back to basics as Mr Major Said.

Q Why do people try to get rid of Acne with sandpaper?

Stark raving Mad they are why do they do it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back