student wants alarm advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am a GCSE student at DHSB in Plymouth, and i have decided to do and alarm system for my bedroom, it has to be silent, easy to use by all, has to be able to switch off easily, using a 555 monostable circuit and a latching thyristor. it has to be activated by either pressure or by motion. also i need research on 4 different alarm systems that already exist. please cud u e-mail me some info on some products or a circuit diagram that i could possibly use

thanx in advance

Matt

split from hi-jacked post

also all replies should be posted here NOT emailed

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The 555 has, over the years, been promoted as both a monostable and an astable oscillator but rarely as a bistable switch. I think this is how you should be using it. That latching thyristor (which most of them are) won't help you much. You want a simple transistor as a power buffer and leave the latching to the 555. Come to think of it, the 555 has an open collector transistor built in which might be all you need.

Hint 1: In some circles the 555 has been written off as a dead loss due to its habit of breaking into high frequency oscillation at the slightest provocation. This is grossly unfair. The data sheet quite clearly states that you should decouple the power supply pins close to the chip. I use a 47uF tantalum and a 0.1uF disk ceramic in parallel and have never had any trouble. It's a good idea to decouple pin 5 too.

Hint 2: The input sensors of alarm systems tend to be at the end of long wires. Smooth your inputs with a very long time constant (100 msec is not too much) or your circuit will go mad every time somebody switches a light on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back