GEAR PROBLEM

S

Shutpa

When I drove off this morning, I found difficulty in getting the lever into 3rd and then discovered it was in 3rd. Tried to move up to 4th, found the same problem and the same result Tried the same thing over a mile or so and each time the stick wouldn't seem to move into the 'slot' but when I took my foot off the clutch found that I was in the selected gear. Parked the car went off for half an hour and expected the same to happen again. It didn't and the car was back to normal.
Put the problem to a neighbour who suggested that it could be the clutch, the gearbox or lack of oil in the latter. That said, he admits that his knowledge on cars is scanty. The car is a 7 year old zafira and I would be grateful for advice please.

Sponsored Links
More than likely to be a linkage problem I think.....most modern vehicles have cables that link the gear lever to the gearbox, and I would suspect that the adjustment has altered somehow.
Sorry but I can't expand on that - I'm not too familiar with the Zafira.
John :)

More than likely to be a linkage problem I think.....most modern vehicles have cables that link the gear lever to the gearbox, and I would suspect that the adjustment has altered somehow.
Sorry but I can't expand on that - I'm not too familiar with the Zafira.
Thanks for the quick reply. Big job normally?

Not really, so long as the bottom of the gear lever has some sort of access.
I would, however take the car to someone who knows what they are doing adjustment wise....a gear that is too 'firmly' engaged causes heavy wear on the gear selector forks, and a gear that isn't engaged fully will jump out.

Sponsored Links
The problem that I had no longer exists. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, booked it in for a check and the garage couldn't find any fault. Still had to pay a £69.60 inspection charge but have no complaints on that score. Still, I am left wondering how this problem could sort itself out. Any ideas?

I have to think this will come back to haunt, unfortunately......got to be something amiss somewhere?

Back