Gearbox oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys!

I have a problem with my D reg fiesta popular 1 litre.
I suspect that the gearbox is leaking oil, but my problem is that i have no idea how to check the oil level in the gearbox! lol

I had a look around and i found a small rubber tube about 10cm long attached to the side of the gearbox that wasn't connected to anything on the other end, i assume this is where you fill the oil right?

So how do i actually check the level?

Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
The rubber sounds sounds like a breather.

Somewhere on the casing there is a plug, usually an allen key or a square drive. Remove the plug and fill till it overflows then put the plug back. The car needs to be level to do it.

Using the gear oil with the plastic tube on the container is easiest. Gear oil is very strong smelling try to avoid getting it on your clothes.

The hose is a breather - use the allen plug on the side of the box to find the right level.

Ok thanks for the help guys, i will have a look in the morning and see if i can find this allen key socket :LOL:

Sponsored Links
This may sound obvious, but put a container to catch any excess oil (you are filling till it overflows, remember) under the plug before you remove it. That way you won't have to worry about cleaning up your drive/the street.

I found it, but like i said is there a way i can somehow measure the gearbox level?
Because if i have got a leak i guess something needs to be done about it and if i just fill it up i won't know for sure.

I mean there is the dip-stick for checking the engine oil level, and I'm sure in the past a mechanic checked the level with a small stick or something.

Is there a way?

Use your little finger.... It should just about fit in the hole.. The oil level should be right up to the top, so if you can stick your finger in and it comes out dry you know it's pretty much empty.

Leaking gear oil really stinks, is a lot thicker and also clings more than engine oil. The most common area to leak is where the drive shafts go in the diff.

If you must use a make shift dip stick, use the same one each time and keep it clean.The problem is it will probably hit something before you get a proper reading though.

If you do use your finger the threads will be sharp.

wow thanks for the good advice and tips!!!!
However it turns out i havn't found the allen key bit afterall :oops:

Any idea where abouts on the actual gearbox the filler bit is located?

Also if that bit with the rubber tube is a breather for the gearbox, can't you just put the oil in through there?

Thanks for you patience!

No don't put oil in the breather tube. If you do you may overfill it and this will definately cause leaks.

The allen or square drive filler plug also sets the oil level so you must find and undo this.

It is located on the smaller part of the gearbox nearer to the wheel than the engine. It will also be on the front or the back and not the top or bottom.

You are probably finding hard to see because in a garage they do this from underneath the car, on a ramp.

Thanks for all your advice guys!
I've now completed the job and it turns out there is no major leak :LOL:

Just in case anyone was wondering, to check the gearbox oil you need a peice of soldiering rod, bend a 90 degree bend in the rod, then on 1 side from the bend mark with something evey 5mm.
Then simply put it in and turn it round and take your reading.

Sponsored Links
Back