General gas/boiler questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently our house has underfloor heating (no radiators anywhere in the house) and an immersion tank in an upstairs cupboard for heating the water, but my Dad is considering switching to gas. We're doing our house up at the mo so now would probably be a good time to get everything future-proofed, if you will.

My Dad was thinking of ringing British Gas for a quote, but had a couple of questions before he does.

If we were to have a combi boiler fitted, would it replace the immersion tank completely? i.e. would there be no need for it any more? Or do you need it for back-up? It'd be nice if it could go, for space-saving reasons.

If we had a combi boiler fitted do we have to get radiators put in at the same time? Or could we get the boiler now to take over the water-heating duties but get radiators put in later on? The underfloor heating still works fine (and does a good job) but we know it'll probably fail at some point, so we just want to be ready.

Thanking you. :)

Sponsored Links
your best option would to get a few quotes as having a combi fitted could rely on your water flow rates and pressures.also the person at the time will give a better idea of the system you want.i have just done a combi for a young lady who has just bought a new house but wants the rads put in around winter time,money reasons.so i at least put a couple in for filling reasons and to get her hot water.

We may go the whole hog and have it all done at once, just wanted to know if it was possible. We will definitely have at least one rad put in straight away in the bathroom, as it always seems to be freezing in there!

We will definitely shop around. My auntie has just had her house done, so has our next-door neighbour. We'll ask them who they used etc.

Thanks. :)

Be prepared to pay at least double if not triple the price if you go with BG they are a rip off, (the only reason I can think of people going with them is that they offer HP) you are better going with a sole trader, go on here http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/ to find your nearest one, but do get 2 or 3 quotes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Found 10 people within less than a mile of our house!

Result!

kevlar I'm in hants and do boilers I am Napit and Gassafe registered been trading since 1989 as self employed before that with BG and a couple of independant gas co's

if you would like a quote PM me i would be happy to help if I can
kev, dereham gas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back