General settlement advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently moved into a house (built in the 1960s) and it has a down stairs extension which we think was built in 1980's.

Now when we viewed it we noticed a crack between the main structure and the extension which runs vertically down the mortar joints.

We payed for a RICs home buyer surveyor who confirmed it was just general settlement and was historic.

Now since moving in I have become quite obsessive about this crack which I think is driving the other half mad.
What worry's me is, it is slightly wider at the top compared to bottom (max about 3-4mm)

Can someone please confirm that this crack is not something to worry about?

FYI - The top twig was already there and the bottom one I added.

Also is it worth refilling these cracks and how much do you think it will cost?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4515.JPG
    IMG_4515.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can someone please confirm that this crack is not something to worry about?

No, you'll have to wait and see. But it does look very old.

Fill it with silicone or a coloured polymer sealant for the time being.

If the surveyor is right, and it's historic movement, then all you need is to repoint the joints. If he's wrong, then you'll make a claim under your buildings insurance for subsidence, and then sue your surveyor for wrong advice. But as sealant would flex, you might not notice any further movement for some time. Get a couple of guys in to quote if you don't feel you're up to the job.

and then sue your surveyor for wrong advice

I don't think so.

The surveyor is not responsible for any movement in the future. His responsibility was to comment on the situation at the time of survey, and he was most probably correct in his opinion.

That joint is expected to move and should have been pointed in mastic to begin with.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys.

So for the foreseeable future I should look into filling it and also monitor to see if it gets bigger (for how long monitoring is it considered safe?)

When you say it looks old, what is it that your are looking for?

The twigs are for the OP to detect movement

You're looking for progressive movement, not seasonal movement or historical settlement. You can get special 2D Vernier things for crack monitoring or you can just take a series of dated photos with a rule in for scale.

thanks, sorry I meant to put the top twig was already there?

The bottom one I stuck in

I would not bother. You will see if it's getting bigger, and when you can get your little finger into it, then you make some phone calls.

The probelm with crack gauges and monitoring, is that if you are inexperienced then you will just get alarmed. Its not uncommon for an extenion to move up and doen or in and out over the seasons, and if you dont know that or dont know how much is normal, then you just get anxious for no reason.

Just fill it.

It wouldn’t worry me in the slightest ( if it’s only as the pic )

There’s usually some minor movements in buildingtge extension was built at a different time that settlement is minor
Chip out old mortar & push in new mortar

-I live in a modernised Victorian house in an area with many old houses , notice lots of things re.minor movement

Even if it’s worse case underpinning situation ( I really don’t think it is) then it’s fairly simply dig out & fill in sections donkey work

Do t be worried or in fear of the what seems to be the mysterious & terrifying unknown lol
relax & enjoy your home ( fill in crack though as wet/freeze may also make it look worse through time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back