Generator Power For Garage. What Do I Need? Help!!

Sponsored Links
Whoa, lets all take a breath here. :eek:

The reason I am asking these questions is that I'm not an electrician (yeah, no sh*t I here you say). If I knew all the answers I wouldn't be here would I? :rolleyes: I can wire a plug, put in a light fitting, thats a far as my knowledge goes.......now if it was a question about fixing a motorbike, I would be fine. Reminds of the time a guy came onto my bike forum asking if the best way to remove rust on his brake discs was with wire wool & wd40!!

The reason I was asking about the socket on the wall is that I couldn't work out why the appliance inlet didn't have a cap like the other socket? To me, a permanent outdoor socket, would have some sort of cover....or am I just thinking outside of the box here? :confused:

I'm not going to rush out & buy these things until I'm 100% sure of what I am doing is right. If I ask a question which to the more experience among you is fairly obvious, it doesn't mean you have to freak out & start using huge fonts & tons of exclamation marks.

Ta :D

Caravan or camping shops do sell all you need although more expensive than from an electrical whole sale outlet. I tried a Google for 16A plug surface mount and I found quickly this advert and as you can see this is a plug not a socket and it is one of these you mount on garage wall. Panel mount also available however I will admit the goggle search did find more sockets than plugs even when plug was in the phrase used.

Yes I know people do use the wrong way around and seeing how few funerals they have for shop keepers in Turkey there educational standards must be better then ours in teaching the dangers! I think we are so use to being protected from harm we don't take the care we should. When I started we still had 415v knife switches to lift the local river bridge and it seems no one was ever injured.

However why take the chance. So easy to get the right gear. And rather than put up posts about widow makers would not links to correct items have been better?

For caravans you can even get a nice box to sink into wall click here

Sponsored Links

The reason I am asking these questions is that I'm not an electrician (yeah, no sh*t I here you say). If I knew all the answers I wouldn't be here would I? :rolleyes: I can wire a plug, put in a light fitting, thats a far as my knowledge goes.......now if it was a question about fixing a motorbike, I would be fine. Reminds of the time a guy came onto my bike forum asking if the best way to remove rust on his brake discs was with wire wool & wd40!!

The reason I was asking about the socket on the wall is that I couldn't work out why the appliance inlet didn't have a cap like the other socket? To me, a permanent outdoor socket, would have some sort of cover....or am I just thinking outside of the box here? :confused:

I'm not going to rush out & buy these things until I'm 100% sure of what I am doing is right. If I ask a question which to the more experience among you is fairly obvious, it doesn't mean you have to freak out & start using huge fonts & tons of exclamation marks.

no ones suggesting you are doing anything wrong chris :D :D
what you need to remember is every thread can be read by thousands off people and because a plug on plug lead is about as dangerouse as it gets it must be mentioned for the the several dozen reading this thread that wont see the danger:cool:

Reminds of the time a guy came onto my bike forum asking if the best way to remove rust on his brake discs was with wire wool & wd40!!
That might do the trick.

How keen was he that the brakes should work properly afterwards?

The reason I was asking about the socket on the wall is that I couldn't work out why the appliance inlet didn't have a cap like the other socket?
Because the pins would never be live when exposed. Used outside you'd have one which was angled downwards - picture this:

p44423_x.jpg

Mounted on a vertical plane, with the pins at the bottom. If water were to get into, and remain in, the area where the pins are you'd probably be having more pressing issues to attend to than plugging a connector into it.

Typically the female connector has a cover, like this:

p43519_x.jpg

because that end could well be live, so you want to keep casual finger-poking etc to a minimum, and water, mud etc could get into the tunnels. But how well one of those would mate with a caravan inlet like the one Eric showed I don't know.

caravans are standard CEEFORM inlets aren't they....

Same thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_and_multiphase_power_plugs_and_sockets

The recessed type ericmark posted is also the same (I have one on my yacht don’t you know :D).

Which ever pattern you use make sure to mount it in a position where the risk of bumping into it, or stepping on it, is minimal.

Connect this to the garage first then connect to your generator as this makes sure the trailing socket is not lying in a puddle or similar nasty.

However, the biggest risk you will have with this set up is likely to be angry neighbours because at 72 DBA @ 4m the noise from that generator is not going to please them.

My Honda EU 20 produces 52 DBA @ 7m on 1/4 load and 59 DBA on full load - but it cost about 4 times s much ;)

Hi Chris,
Don't take it the wrong way, as im sure you would have understood the message if it were in a standard font. But, as Big-All says, the widow maker is probably the most dangerous thing any one could make (without malicious intent) and this thread will be read by many people other than your good self. Any suggestion of such a death device wants stamping on clearly and immeadiately.

The caravan hook up seems like the right idea ;)

the link says socket, that's not a socket it's a plug.
I glanced at the 2 links and they are identical in description other than the part number, I clicked the second one assuming the OP had just re-posted RF's link..
sorry RF..

I did click on the link.

It took me to this page:

t258644.jpg

which is where I got the product photo from....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back