Genralising radiator sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I am putting manily double radiators downstairs in my house, For the bedrooms is it usualy pratice to put put singles in i.e 1000/1200/1400. Are single panel radiators with fins the normality in bedrooms. There standard size bedrooms not realy small ones like on new some new builds.

Sponsored Links
You should really size your radiators to the heat losses of the rooms in question.

Double panel radiators are normally used where a single panel radiator with an output to match the heat loss would be too big for a given space.

To expand on what Bon has already said, in order to find out what size radiator you need in any given room, such things as the floor area, ceiling height, wall construction, window area, insulation in the ceiling, required air changes per hour, target room temperature etc etc etc must be taken into account. These are fed into a calculator which will give you the heat output required for that particular room, and the radiators are selected based on this required output.

So, in short, it is usual to put the most suitably sized radiator in any room, IE the radiator that will put out enough heat to heat the room. Whether it is single or double panel with one or two rows of fins will depend on the available wall area and customers' individual requirements.

Sponsored Links
You've also got to consider your boiler capacity too.

No point putting 20kW's worth of rads in your house if you've got a 16kW boiler for example.

As for your heat losses, my Rule of Thumb booklet states 60 W/m2 for residential applications.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back