German Fridge freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has just moved back to uk with german fridge freezer. Can this be rewired to include an earth? Is there any problem with plugging it into an adapter?

Sponsored Links
For a German fridge freezer??

EDIT: Damn.. you beat me to it.... ;)

Sponsored Links
On removals lorry at moment arrives tomorrow I will look and see when it comes

In general appliances made for the German market can be used in the UK .
As this is a consistently on appliance (using power all the time), rather than using a plug adaptor, I would fit a 13A plug with the correct fuse rating for the appliance.
It could well be that the appliance does not require an earth within its flex but we need to confirm that, so you would be looking for double insulated symbol as post earlier or Class/Klasse II printed text on the appliance.

The standard German plug and socket
220px-Schuko_plug_and_socket.png
does have an earth it is the grip on outside of the plug.
schukoadaptor__72142_std.jpg
the adaptor shown does have the earth connection and advert states "with integral 13A fuse and holder" so these are OK.

Some cheap China adaptors miss out both earth connection and fuse these are clearly no good.

Oh thats good to know so just need to put on an english plug as there should be an earth wire in the cable

The standard German plug and socket
220px-Schuko_plug_and_socket.png
does have an earth it is the grip on outside of the plug.
schukoadaptor__72142_std.jpg
the adaptor shown does have the earth connection and advert states "with integral 13A fuse and holder" so these are OK.

Some cheap China adaptors miss out both earth connection and fuse these are clearly no good.

That adapter costs about 5 times as much as a 13A plug, and the plug and adapter will stick out from the wall a long way.

No brainer, fit a 13A plug.

Google Schuko to UK adaptor and £1.25 OK new plug cheaper if your never returning to Europe.

I just have and it's £2.25 from Amazon not £1.25, plus possibly postage. Maplin want over £6.
A 13A plug maybe 50p and a new Schuko plug if you return probably similar.

As I said no contest and obviously safer.

If not returning then the cut of old plug and fit British is clearly best option if for no other reason than the Schuko plug is reversible which is why Schuko sockets are not permitted in the UK.

However you are assuming people know how to put a plug on and the whole reason why it is now law that items must come with plug attached is that people got it wrong and accidents resulted.

I was surprised when my son and daughters were taught in school of how the school seemed to have no idea as to what fuse to fit and having already shown them how to fit a plug an argument it seems started with the teacher as to fuse size.

It's like riding a bike once one knows you can't conceive how others can't do it but seems it is quite common for errors to be made. I have also cut off plugs in the past to find white and black wires and unless you have come across USA colours one would not realise the black was line.

Even the words change we call it line they call it hot. With so much coming from China we do now get quite a few items with USA colours on the cable.

I would hope it has the standard EEU Brown = Line, Blue = Neutral and Green/Yellow = Earth but we don't even know if Class I or Class II at the moment.

As to cost of adaptor Google showed to right of page images of the adaptor with prices marked with a range of prices I did not bother clicking on the sites re-doing same search £1:75 to £6:49 I will agree problem with any internet advert is often the postage and vat is not included Tesco redirects to Maplin and yes £6:49 which I agree a silly price. So many travel adaptors are marked "Not suitable for plugs with side earth strips." it's a wonder there are not more accidents. So often the house RCD is only saving grace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back