getting a cistern pipe to stay connected to the pan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How do you get the flush pipe from the cistern to stay pushed into the hole at the back of the toilet pan?

The fitting I've got is a push fit rubber bung that fits into the back of the pan. It's quite a snug fit. The end of the flush pipe (don't know it's real name) is then a push fit into the back of the bung. In effect the bung is a sleeve between the pipe and the hole in the pan, and I'm guessing is a pretty standard thing.

Anyway, if I push the rubber bung into the back of the pan so that it's fully in and snug (with the shoulder of the bung against the back of the pan and the main body of the bung snugly inside the pan hole) it stays there nicely by itself.

Then, if I push the pipe into the back of the bung (which takes quite a bit of force and twisting back and forth), even with no weight onto the pipe the bung then pushes itself back out of the pan and the pipe/bung assembly then flops out and dangles from the underside of the cistern with the pan end hanging in free space.

How the heck do you get these things to stay in? It's driving me nuts!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your flush pipe has been cut to short this causes it to pull back.

HI

it is a common problem, dont worry.
try another one.there are few types
1.PLASTIC/PVC flexible
2.RUBBER hard

if that does not work try a new flush pipe
which will be longer and you will have to cut it to size
BUT cut fewi nches longer so it will keep the cone pushed in.

Thanks.

Common problem? Sounds like someone needs to come up with a better design!

The current pipe isn't too short - it's a flexible pipe that's already compressed a bit shorter to fit in between the cistern and the pan. The force of the bung pushing back out overcomes the push of the pipe.

I'll pop into a merchants tomorrow to see if they can suggest anything. It's a really rubbish problem to have!

Sponsored Links
commiserations on your flushpipe problems. i have been strugling with similar problems for 30 years as a plumber
i am reluctant to fit badly designed ill fitting british crapp
if possible buy grohe for hideaway cisterns -idiotproof design -no leaks-no
callbacks-

Common problem? Sounds like someone needs to come up with a better design!
The current pipe isn't too short - it's a flexible pipe...
There already is a better design - a rigid pipe.

I don't understand why you're using a flexible flush pipe. Did it come with the pan, or cistern, or did you select it yourself?

It all came with the bathroom when it was fitted about 2 years ago.

The cistern is a hidden away plastic one inside a Shades vanity unit. Due to the position of other pipes I don't think it's possible to get a rigid pipe in - the flexible pipe has to bend round some other plumbing that happens to be there.

It was all OK until I had to replace the Torbeck stop valve. In order to get at that I had to drop the cistern a bit and then the flush pipe popped out of the back of the pan. The rubber was a really loose fit so I bought a new one. That was about 2 months ago.

Then the flush mechanism stopped working properly (wouldn't close properly so the cistern would never fill). I went to fit a replacement last night and then discovered that the rubber bung, which was new when I replaced the Torbeck 2 months ago, now decides it won't stay in the hole when the pipe is in there too.

The pan is made by Waverley.

Welcome to the world of plumbing. It has become the art of dealing with rubbishy cheap parts and trying and trying to get them to work the way they should.

DIsmantle, clean and dry (use meths) apply silicone, wedge it together and leave 12 hours to set.
Leave the wedge in there, in fact!

I would suspect that the flexi pipe was a bodge. There should not be any pipes in the way.

A rigid flush pipe cut to the right length and fitted dry, or with water as a lubricant, will hold up on a low level flush. High level sometimes gives a problem with the increase in pressure.

Maybe it should be called a Hideaway a multitude of sins WC.

Thanet.

I popped to a local plumbers' merchant today and got a different sort of rubber bung. This one is softer rubber and much more flexible, plus it's got thinner sealing/gripping ridges so they flop in more easily.

So far so good - it's gone in easily and isn't showing signs of pushing out again.

ChrisR - thanks for the tip with meths. I've cleaned the pan inlet with this and it's squeaky clean and holding nicely. Smells good too :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back