Getting a separate set of wheels/rims for winter tyres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had winter tyres for a few years on our last two cars and always meant to get round to fitting them permanently on their own wheels, but ever did.
It's that time of year again and I'm keen to get it done finally, but our local garage doesn't want to handle sourcing them.

It's not an area I know anything about. We don't care about them looking fancy - our VW Golf has alloys but couldn't care less really for winter tyres.
So any recommendations where to find these things would be appreciated, and to make sure we buy something that fits the car/tyres, would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you already have the tyres, just get a set of steel rims. What size are your rims?

You could try looking at online suppliers that do winter tyre and steel rim combos

we've already got the tyres... figured instead of our local garage swapping the tyres this time, they would fit the new rims and then put the winter tyres on - and then each spring/winter we just swap all 4 wheels (at a push I could myself though I don't really want to)

@Mottie no idea. All these numbers on the tyres, etc are total gibberish to me. If I knew what size it was I suppose I'd know what to buy ;)

Sponsored Links
What’s the number after the 'R' on the side of your tyre? Tyre sizes are like this example - 195/65/R15V. What does yours say?

You'll also need to know the PCD and the offset, if you stick your car model into a website like this it should tell you what the PCD and offset is: https://www.rtecshop.co.uk/search_car_parts.php?search_section=wheels_full
That site tells me the offset on the wheels on my car is. 38, 45 or 49.

IMG_5770.png

I use a firm called Oponeo if I need replacement rims......overnight delivery!
A breaker may help too.
You could always use Cross Climate tyres if you like and keep the original rims.
John :)

Years ago I bought a pair of direct (S/H) replacement alloys off ebay but that was for a Megane so a bit less desirable @ £25 each inc delivery, that might be an option - if you can source exact replacements you know they'll fit. Marketplace can be a good source for sets of wheels but you'll need to be in the know to ensure they match.

Mottie I think the wheel suppliers will offer wheels that will be within a tolerance still within the cars limits/specifications but I take your point. Anyway this seems to be a better site that tells you what the manufacturers original fitment PCD/offset is: https://www.wheel-size.com/

tyre.jpg

Otherwise it's time to get on the VW forums, guaranteed someone will know the proper size.

Do alloys have this info stamped on them somewhere? Otherwise time to get the ruler out I guess though this sounds like it might be a bit much for the OP here!

I use a firm called Oponeo if I need replacement rims......overnight delivery!
A breaker may help too.
You could always use Cross Climate tyres if you like and keep the original rims.
John :)
I've had Cross Climate 2 tyres on my old 5 series BMW for the past couple of years. East Anglia has not really had the the winter weather since fitment to test their capabilities, but the write-up on them is impressive & they are wearing really well considering the substantial weight of the car.

I just kept looking on eBay for rims that came up for sale. Eventually, I had amassed 4 of them, for relatively little money.

And yes, there will normally be the letters "ET followed by a number, cast into the back of the wheels - sometimes on the back of one of the spokes, in the case of an alloy wheel. So for example, all mine are ET32 (32mm offset).

That's where I want when I wanted a full-sizs spare to replace my spacesaver
Trouble is, many cars don’t have the depth of wheel well for a full size spare. Our Golf doesn’t, our A3 doesn’t and our Evoque didn’t. On some Porsches, the punctured wheel has to go on the passenger seat and if you have a passenger, it goes on their lap!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back