snow tyres for bmw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im thinking of investing in some snow tyres for my one series. ive been thinking about getting them fitted to steel rims so that way i can just change them myself when required and not bother having to go back and forward to the tyre shop. i currenry have run flats on.

when i went so get steel rims from a scrap yard i was informed that they wont fit and ill need to get alloys similar to the ones i have as steels won't fit.

Any ideas on how this works or will it be just as easy to park up and get the bus?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well you obviously need wheels that will fit a one series. Check ebay or the local ad paper.

I got a set of BMW alloys for my E36 on ebay for £54 and the petrol to collect them. Got a set of Falken winters from Mytyres for £60 a corner and fitted for £6 a corner.

Prices for a One series will likely be higher but a set bought now will last a good few winters.

Well you obviously need wheels that will fit a one series. Check ebay or the local ad paper.

I got a set of BMW alloys for my E36 on ebay for £54 and the petrol to collect them. Got a set of Falken winters from Mytyres for £60 a corner and fitted for £6 a corner.

Prices for a One series will likely be higher but a set bought now will last a good few winters.

Yes but i was hoping to just get two for the rear and leave the front as is. Can this work?

Yes but i was hoping to just get two for the rear and leave the front as is. Can this work?

Yes but it leaves the front end with a massive deficiency in grip and control. Don't forget under braking almost all of the forward momentum of the car is on the fronts, it could lead to some pretty hairy moments.

I would recommmend you get both axles with winters, the difference it made to my van was incredible.

Sponsored Links
OK. but can i just buy normal steel rims and fit them? The guy i spoke to said none will fit and i will have to buy alloys(more expense). surley some old steels out there will fit.

I just want in to be a inexpensive as possible

OK. but can i just buy normal steel rims and fit them? The guy i spoke to said none will fit and i will have to buy alloys(more expense). surley some old steels out there will fit.

Whether a wheel fits depends on a lot of things. I don't know one's as well as other beemers so I don't know if they came with steels at all. Some boggo spec one series is likely to have steels though.

One's use a 5x120 stud pattern most likely so they have that in common with other beemers. The bore of the hub is likely to be the same as other BMW's of the era. I would try the wheels off an e46 onwards 3 series. The only problem might be the difference in offsets making the wheels sitting wrong in the arches.

this ad suggests a 3 series wheel will fit so look for cheap ones of those.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1-3-S...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cbf117f0c

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

As a BMW technician (**** job) I can assure you that steel wheels will fit and we have sold plenty to customers who don't want the expense of new alloys or the hassle and expense of changing tyres between wheels. Would need to be the correct wheels though and relatively few 1 Series do not have alloys so scrap yard find would be lucky.
Couldn't hazard a guess as to what other models might fit as don't get involved in that.

go to mytyres.co.uk and they will sort out a complete set of steels and tyres in accordance with BMW guidelines. Change all four otherise it will highly unsafe

Sponsored Links
Back