Getting an oil boiler commissioned

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from a previous post where I confirmed my 1999 Heatslave 15/19 is O.K to install into a new extension and that my best course of action was to use a local heating engineer to commission ......

As far as I am aware the installation is A1.
New single peice oil pipe from the tank
Filters and Fire valve fitted
New water regs filling loop
New flue (old one was single skin wall)
Pipework is mega neat
Been working error free since install (October) ... If fact, I have never had a problem from new!

Local heating engineer says .... "You dont need commissioning paperwork for the boiler in an extension mate" (Either the BCO or the heating engineer is wrong!)

Local heating engineer says .... "Not keen on touching it cus it is on a Bosch service contract" (But Bosch Service are very clear they do not Install or Commission) .... and there nearest recommended engineer in 50 miles away according to their web site.

Local heating engineer says ..... "Well. I aint touching it mate"

I (incorrectly?) thought heating engineers regularly 'commission' boilers for plumbers? So, before I burn my bridges with every other local engineer, I am looking for some advice on how to handle these conversations. Would I be better to disconnect the boiler and ask someone to install and commission? This isn't an exercise in saving money. If I have to pay £50 for a site visit to prove it isn't a nightmare, thats fine. In the unlikely event that there is corrective work I am quite happy to pay ... but I do need to get this done somehow

Sponsored Links
fastJedi said:
Following on from a previous post where I confirmed my 1999 Heatslave 15/19 is O.K to install into a new extension and that my best course of action was to use a local heating engineer to commission ......

As far as I am aware the installation is A1.
New single peice oil pipe from the tank
Filters and Fire valve fitted
New water regs filling loop
New flue (old one was single skin wall)
Pipework is mega neat
Been working error free since install (October) ... If fact, I have never had a problem from new!

Right ho, so if you were doing things correctly, you had better get building control to approve the installation.

Local heating engineer says .... "You dont need commissioning paperwork for the boiler in an extension mate" (Either the BCO or the heating engineer is wrong!)

If this heating "engineer" is oftec registered, tell oftec. He is wrong.

Local heating engineer says .... "Not keen on touching it cus it is on a Bosch service contract" (But Bosch Service are very clear they do not Install or Commission) .... and there nearest recommended engineer in 50 miles away according to their web site.

Local heating engineer says ..... "Well. I aint touching it mate"

And YOU do not want HIM touching it.

I (incorrectly?) thought heating engineers regularly 'commission' boilers for plumbers?

I expect they do, but occasionally rather than regularly.

So, before I burn my bridges with every other local engineer, I am looking for some advice on how to handle these conversations.

That's easy, don't bother having conversations like that. Talk to someone else. If you don't think much of him, probably lots of other people don't too.

Would I be better to disconnect the boiler and ask someone to install and commission? This isn't an exercise in saving money. If I have to pay £50 for a site visit to prove it isn't a nightmare, thats fine. In the unlikely event that there is corrective work I am quite happy to pay ... but I do need to get this done somehow

Get building control to say it's ok, then you can get it commissioned, but not by that bloke.

oftec form cd11..commisioning report.

the very first check for commisioning eng , is to check installers paperwork. ie cd10 and his oftec # or a building control notice.

once i see all the signature on the cd10 and his oftec # or b.c.o .
no prob...........

otherwise it aint.

Sponsored Links
wilhelm said:
oftec form cd11..commisioning report.

Get some new ones then, mine are CD11 Commissioning/service report. So you could, er, "service" it. :D

my eyes ran out of steam as i was reading the form. this applies to many oftec publications , i hasten, to add..........

fortunately ive had a few sherbets and im in a position to sign anything. :D

the pedant in me, has just checked. jeez it says servicing and commisssing report....

f.f.s. id better lay off the gas.

Paul Barker said:
I'm sure Worcester are offering free commissioning at the moment aren't they?

So the thieving s0ds can nick your customers, and sell them a service contract. Rsoles :evil:

Thank You ... I should summon up the courage to make another call then.

(Jiminblack ... Just off the A48, about 5 miles north of Chepstow)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back