Thermecon 12/24 Lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new GAH Thermecon 12/24 installed in December 2007. The boiler was commissioned after a week of running the boiler and thereafter problems ensued.

The boiler locks out, seemingly randomly. I found that the fire valve was leaking oil and after two visits by the commissioning engineer it was discovered that one of the 10 mm connections on the valve had been cross threaded. I hoped that this was the cause of the lockouts, but unfortunately not.

To cut a long story short, the commissioning engineer (in his words) turned up the oil pressure on the oil pump. This cured the fault for five days and then back to lockouts.

Does this invalidate the commissioning setup of the boiler? The boiler is in the garage and when it does run, it leaves a sort of hot, half burnt oil smell in there. I am also concerned that the boiler is using just as much oil as the 30 year old Trianco boiler it replaced. Surely this cannot be right.

If, as I believe, the boiler is not fit for purpose, can I ask them to remove and replace it with a properly functioning one?

I appreciate any advice given - I really cannot afford £3000 for what is now a pretty white box in the corner of the garage which occasionally heats the house.

Cheers

Paul

Sponsored Links
It"s under warranty. Ring GAH.
So, if you bought a TV from Dixons and it didn't work when you got home, you would ring the manufacturer?

What I am trying to ascertain is whether the installer has left the boiler in an unsuitable condition and what his responsibilities are in correcting the condition. For instance, having adjusted the oil pump pressure, should the boiler be commissioned again? Would the adjustment be the cause of the smell from the boiler?

Sponsored Links
If the oil pressure was increased, then combustion readings should be checked also!

IF the manufacturer sends an engineer to check it and the problem is due to being wrongly installed or commissioned then you may be charged!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back