Getting contractor to put right illegal work

The time to complain about unqualified workers was when they started on site!

Its too late when they have finished! None of the remedial works you listed need a qualified person!

The requirement is for the boiler to be fitted on a "clean" system and to be fitted with inhibitor!

Also the benchmark certificates for boiler and cylinder should have been completed by a qualified person! That is VERY important. Also they should be notified to Building Control. THESE are all very important and cannot be done by an unqualified person and most likely have NOT been done!

I dont disagree that he has not done a totally good job but yo should give him the opportunity to put them right first.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The time to complain about unqualified workers was when they started on site!

Its too late when they have finished!

The problem was that I told the contractor from the start I wanted everything done acc to all relevant BRegs, I trusted him accordingly and only thought to check when things started going wrong with my CH and HW controls.

The requirement is for the boiler to be fitted on a "clean" system and to be fitted with inhibitor!

Fine - I'm not saying I specifically need a registered guy for this. Just wanted to confirm that they should have been done in the first place, and if so, that it is reasonable to expect payment for them.

Also the benchmark certificates for boiler and cylinder should have been completed by a qualified person! That is VERY important. Also they should be notified to Building Control. THESE are all very important and cannot be done by an unqualified person and most likely have NOT been done!

None have been filled out at all. Hope you understand the situation now. The HE I got in says he is not prepared to complete the cylinder one, as judging by the quality of the installation he is not prepared to put his name to it.

[ that he had used illegal unregistered worker/s to fit my unvented cylinder, (also discovered other illegal work with boiler since then - no sleeving for the boiler gas flow pipe running through plaster), I believe I've got a chance of getting him pay for the rectification work.

Have you informed the HSE or LA of the illegal workers. As you feel so strongly, I wpould have thought that this wpould have been an easrly move. Also, as, and if, you move into litigation, the lack of reporting could hinder your case, wherwas a positive response from the authorities could swing it all in your favour (rightly or wrongly).

I assume that you have paid all the invoivces to date?

IHMO It now depends on what you want as an end result. You have paid what I see as 7.5k excluding boiler and cylinder, that to me constitutes money for a professional job for which you expect a professional install. This is not a few hundred quid to a chancer.

If this builder can walk away with you getting the job finished to your satisfaction for the £800 you have now organised (with your third party, qualified engineer) he should, IMO, bite your hand off. :eek:

Don't be nervous and don't be intimidated. This builder, from what you say, lost the right to put things right some time ago.

Sponsored Links
[ that he had used illegal unregistered worker/s to fit my unvented cylinder, (also discovered other illegal work with boiler since then - no sleeving for the boiler gas flow pipe running through plaster), I believe I've got a chance of getting him pay for the rectification work.

Have you informed the HSE or LA of the illegal workers. As you feel so strongly, I wpould have thought that this wpould have been an easrly move. Also, as, and if, you move into litigation, the lack of reporting could hinder your case, wherwas a positive response from the authorities could swing it all in your favour (rightly or wrongly).

I assume that you have paid all the invoivces to date?

Yes, paid all invoices to date.

I hope it won't need to come to litigation. So far, it would seem my threats have been successful, and he will cover the rectification costs, which was my main intention.

The problem is that I threatened that if he won't pay, then I'll report him. So if he does pay I'm not sure I'll be able to still report him...?

As I said if he ends up paying your £800 he is laughing. It would cost him that much to employ his own qualified engineer to come and do it. The whole point being, he probably does not have one on his books anyway :D

As I said if he ends up paying your £800 he is laughing. It would cost him that much to employ his own qualified engineer to come and do it. The whole point being, he probably does not have one on his books anyway :D

Agreed - he prob is quibbling over the price, because all his 'plumbers' cost £100 a day....

they can reposistion the exsisting one to a correct location probably be cheaper than £150 not easier but cheaper so a little unreasonable a few meters of cable. for £150 and hours labour?

How much would it have cost to merely move the existing thermostat to a new location say in the hall? (labour and materials)

Playing a bit like the Devils Advocate here, but really these things should have been thought out before.

To 'merely' move a thermostat to the hall is rather a stupid question, I'm sorry to say, for someone who puts together a very good thread explaining what's gone wrong.

It may well involve taking up fitted carpets to go under floor with wires, chasing walls that have expensive wall paper to hide drops, the hall could be miles away from boiler.....endless :eek:

I have sided with you regarding the proportionate cost against the professionalism you should expect, but it is a valid point, that when parting with so much money, the buyer beware.

A little research on google would have perhaps helped :rolleyes:

I agree with you and if this so called builder has used unqualified people then why should you trust him

You have paid good money for professional job to be done by qualified people to relevant regs ,I have never met a customer yet who knows every regulation that a professional has to follow and why should you as you are employing a so called professional to take care of this

Agile as uaul is talking utter b011ox with his price of £180 quid just using this site as his personal advert for his 85 quid diagnostic fee on the sh1t boxes he normally frequents .Take no notice of his waffle

Good luck and i hope you manage to resolve the issues you have and get the heating system which you deserve with the amount of monies you have spent i can not see this being an isssue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back